Requisition ID: POS000267
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Be a part of the legacy: MRL Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program
The Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program aims to be a best-in-industry program for industrial postdoctoral researchers, designed to provide you with an academic focus in a commercial environment. With the resources, reach, and expertise of a large pharmaceutical company, postdoctoral researchers will be positioned to excel in an institution committed to breakthrough innovation in research and discovery.
As a postdoctoral fellow at the Merck Research Laboratories you will work with a highly collaborative team of scientists at the Merck Exploratory Science Center at Cambridge, MA to uncover mechanisms underlying immune-microbiome interactions at the mucosa that impact systemic immunity with a focus on vaccines. The Merck Exploratory Science Center provides a unique experience to contribute to Merck's drug discovery efforts at one of the earliest stages of the process. To this end, we strive to create a fast-paced, nimble and flexible environment of mutual respect, creativity, invention and team work. This position will provide a unique opportunity to be exposed to immunology, microbiology, chemical biology, synthetic chemistry and bioactive discovery both within the Merck Exploratory Science Center and other Merck Sites across the country. With access to Merck's proven global R&D organization, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
You will focus on understanding microbiome & host factors that influence the outcome of systemic immune responses in the context of vaccination.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Designing, executing, and implementing animal models of vaccine evaluation.
- Employing cellular and molecular biology to dissect in-vivo observations and uncover underlying mechanisms.
- Identifying novel immuno-modulatory commensal bacteria/fungi using in-vitro & in-vivo systems.
- Employing microbiome manipulation models to understand the influence of commensal bacteria/fungi on vaccine outcome & mucosal immune cells.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- A PhD in Immunology/Microbiology with less than (3) years of postdoctoral experience OR graduating with a PhD by summer of 2019.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: Immunology, Mucosal Biology, Vaccinology, Host-Microbe Interactions, Infectious Diseases.
- Experience working with innate & adaptive immune cells and/or commensal bacteria/fungi.
- Experience using murine models to study immune modulation.
- Experience in Flow Cytometry based read outs.
- Experience in molecular biology.
- Prior knowledge of the role of microbiome on health & disease; specifically, in relation to modulating host immune responses.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Isolation & characterization of immune cell subsets from blood & mucosal tissues.
- Designing & executing multi-parameter FACS panels, including single cell sorting.
- Designing & executing in-vivo models (murine or non-human primates) to investigate the inter-influential roles of the microbiome & host immune system.
- Strong history of publication in top-tier, peer-reviewed journals.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Post-Doctoral Fellow
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Cambridge
Nearest Secondary Market: Boston