Be a part of the legacy: Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program
The Research & Development Division's Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program aims to be a best-in-industry program for industrial postdoctoral researchers, designed to provide you with an academic focus in a commercial environment. With the resources, reach, and expertise of a large pharmaceutical company, postdoctoral researchers will be positioned to excel in an institution committed to breakthrough innovation in research and discovery.
As a postdoctoral fellow you will work with a highly collaborative team of scientists at our Company's Exploratory Science Center at Cambridge, MA to uncover mechanisms underlying immune-microbiome interactions at the mucosa that impact systemic immunity with a focus on vaccines. The Exploratory Science Center provides a unique experience to contribute to our Company's drug discovery efforts at one of the earliest stages of the process. To this end, we strive to create a fast-paced, nimble and flexible environment of mutual respect, creativity, invention and team work. This position will provide a unique opportunity to be exposed to immunology, microbiology, chemical biology, synthetic chemistry and bioactive discovery both within the Exploratory Science Center and other sites across the country. With access to our Company's proven global Research & Development organization, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
You will focus on understanding microbiome & host factors that influence the outcome of systemic immune responses in the context of vaccination.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Designing, executing, and implementing animal models of vaccine evaluation.
- Employing cellular and molecular biology to dissect in-vivo observations and uncover underlying mechanisms.
- Identifying novel immuno-modulatory commensal bacteria/fungi using in-vitro & in-vivo systems.
- Employing microbiome manipulation models to understand the influence of commensal bacteria/fungi on vaccine outcome & mucosal immune cells.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- A PhD in Immunology/Microbiology with less than (3) years of postdoctoral experience OR graduating with a PhD by summer of 2019.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: Immunology, Mucosal Biology, Vaccinology, Host-Microbe Interactions, Infectious Diseases.
- Experience working with innate & adaptive immune cells and/or commensal bacteria/fungi.
- Experience using murine models to study immune modulation.
- Experience in Flow Cytometry based read outs.
- Experience in molecular biology.
- Prior knowledge of the role of microbiome on health & disease; specifically, in relation to modulating host immune responses.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Isolation & characterization of immune cell subsets from blood & mucosal tissues.
- Designing & executing multi-parameter FACS panels, including single cell sorting.
- Designing & executing in-vivo models (murine or non-human primates) to investigate the inter-influential roles of the microbiome & host immune system.
- Strong history of publication in top-tier, peer-reviewed journals.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as "Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as "MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world's biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: