Our Research Scientists are our Inventors. We identify and target steps in disease mechanisms or pathways that could be inhibited or enhanced. Our goal is to isolate a compound that is effective against a disease target. Using innovative thinking, state-of-the-art facilities and robust scientific methodology, we collaborate to discover the next medical breakthrough.
The Biologics Analytical Research & Development department of our Company's Research Laboratories Division is seeking applicants for a Principal Scientist position available at its Kenilworth, New Jersey research facility. The Principal Scientist is a senior scientific role tasked with working closely with the group Director to define group strategy and to lead a team of scientists in solving complex analytical problems at the interface of biology, chemistry, and lab informatics disciplines to enable development of biologics active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs).
We are looking for a team player with strong leadership skills and ability and passion for mentoring and working along others in a laboratory setting. Applicants must have effective organizational and multi-tasking skills, have demonstrated excellent scientific leadership, and have superior communications skills, both written and oral. A track record of delivering impactful solutions to complex problems, and evidence of strong cross-functional collaboration is expected. Experience leading small groups of technical personnel, leading projects, and defining group or departmental strategy will aid in distinguishing candidates. An established reputation for scientific excellence supported by publications and external presentations is expected.
Education Minimum Requirements:
- Ph.D. in analytical chemistry/biochemistry or related field with a minimum of 8 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry, M.S. in analytical chemistry/biochemistry or related field with a minimum of 12 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry, or B.S. in analytical chemistry/biochemistry or related field with a minimum of 16 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to develop talent through good mentoring skills.
- Demonstrated ability for taking initiative, creativity and innovation in problem solving.
- Productivity and efficiency working in the laboratory.
- Strong background and expertise in laboratory automation.
- Extensive experience with Ultrahigh Pressure Liquid Chromatography (UPLC)/High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC).
- Strong ability to deliver complex objectives under aggressive timelines in a rapidly changing environment.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Established scientific reputation supported by publications and external presentations.
- Strong external network to benchmark competitors and equipment vendors.
- Expertise in high-throughput experimentation and data-rich experimentation.
- Experience in analysis of biologics (e.g., Size Exclusion Chromatography (SEC), Ion Exchange Chromatography (IEX) and Capillary Electrophoresis (CE) techniques.
- Background in the development of new methods and sound scientific understanding of Quality by Design (QbD) and Design of Experiments (DOE) principles as well as data analysis and statistics.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: