Requisition ID: BIO005391
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Early Discovery organization seeks an outstanding candidate to join our Immunology Discovery team at our organization in Boston. You will lead a team that supports early development of novel therapeutics in inflammatory and autoimmune disease. You will have hands-on expertise and deep knowledge in immunology, auto-immunity, inflammation, and/or fibrosis. You will have excellent oral and written communication skills, work well independently and as a team leader, and will be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
In this exciting role, you will:
- Interact with internal translational/clinical stakeholders and external investigators.
- Lead a dynamic team of 2-4 immunologists working to discover and validate immunology targets, elucidate mechanisms of disease and drug action, and build the early Immunology pipeline.
- Operate in a highly collaborative team environment, partnering with peers on site, at other Merck locations, and in the broader scientific community.
- A PhD in Immunology/Cell Biology or related areas.
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 8 years' experience in Immunology in addition to post-doctoral experience in either an academic, institutional or industrial setting.
- Expertise in innate and adaptive immunity with an autoimmunity and inflammation focus.
- Demonstrated productivity during post-doctoral fellowship, with clear evidence of peer-reviewed publications in top tier journals.
- Ability to organize and communicate complex data sets in a clear and concise manner to key stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong team player with excellent oral and written communication skills and with a demonstrated ability to work independently to lead projects and suggest next steps.
- Prior Experience with project management and laboratory management is required.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Ability to actively contribute scientifically to immunological drug discovery research programs, including identification and validation of novel targets.
- Experience in drug discovery and/or late development.
- Ability to represent development teams and communicate goals/deliverables to senior management and/or governance committees.
- Prior experience either working with or leading collaborations with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations.
- Experience in mentoring and/or leading PhD level and non-PhD level scientists.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Hazardous Materials: None
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Boston