Requisition ID: ENG004445
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that's committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The Project Engineer position is available at the Merck Animal Health facility in De Soto, Kansas, located near Kansas City metropolitan area. The DeSoto facility is expanding operations to manufacturing vaccines and biologics for large and companion animals. Leveraging an experienced and innovative team environment, the key technologies at the site are biologics production using fermentation and cell culture platforms, filling and packaging.
This position will manage a wide variety of projects to support biotechnology manufacturing and associated support functions. These projects will range from equipment installations to facilities construction. The project engineer will be responsible for writing equipment specifications, performing equipment selection, assisting with the facility / installation design, managing contractors during implementation, and execution of Commissioning and Qualification (IQ/OQ and PQ) documentation. This individual will provide technical support for biotech manufacturing equipment, clean utilities, sterile processes and perform process hazard analyses. Good project management skills are required with the ability to achieve budgets, meet schedules, and minimize interruptions to production. This individual must be detailed oriented with good documentation skills.
All of these activities require good interpersonal skills and the ability to work closely with operations, maintenance and engineering. This position will start as an individual contributor with the management of projects and project teams with the potential for growth within Engineering, Operations or potentially job rotations within the Merck network.
Project Management Responsibilities:
- Creates an effective project team and lead the projects from concept through completion
- Works with Manufacturing to trouble shoot and evaluate process equipment issues
- Works with Manufacturing Operations and R&D to determine new process requirements
- Prepares engineering estimates / budgets for new or modified facilities, equipment and processes
- Drafts capital requests to obtain financial approval
- Responsible for preliminary engineering and feasibility studies to ensure equipment is safe, reliable and accomplishes the needed tasks
- Prepares and manages purchase orders for contractor services or equipment
- Performs technical reviews / evaluations of contractor proposals and recommends the contractor who is most qualified for the required task(s)
- Works with outside contractors to establish a project schedule to ensure construction start and completion time
- Responsible for start-up verification and testing of projects to meet customer needs
- Works with compliance to create an effective validation plan
- Creates and communicates project plans, identifies milestones and critical tasks, and monitors performance against plan
- Responsible for capital project drawings, modifications and alterations of any equipment installed to be added to any existing drawings or correct as built
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BS in Engineering: Chemical or Mechanical preferred
Required Experience and Skills:
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- 2 years experience in plant engineering in a manufacturing environment
- Good equipment / process trouble shooting skills
- Ability to work hands on / day to day with production personnel and contractors
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience
- Experience in FDA or USDA regulated environment
- Proven project and construction management capabilities
- Biotechnology manufacturing / sterile processing experience
- Knowledge / experience with process validation (URS, FRS, IOQ, PQ)
- Experience with Sanitary piping design and installation
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Engineering Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: None
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Kansas City