At Intercept, our mission is to build a healthier tomorrow for patients with progressive non-viral liver diseases. Intercept's lead product, obeticholic acid (OCA), is a first-in-class farnesoid X receptor (FXR) agonist. OCA, marketed under the brand name \"Ocaliva®,\" is approved in the U.S., EU and Canada for certain patients with primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), a rare autoimmune liver disease. Ocaliva® was the first product to be approved for PBC in over twenty years and our team is proud to have been pioneers in providing the first second-line treatment option to patients with such critical need. The Ocaliva® launch in 2016 also marked Intercept's successful transition from a development-stage company to a fully integrated commercial organization with continued growth.
In February 2019, Intercept reported positive topline results from the Phase 3 REGENERATE study of OCA in patients with liver fibrosis due to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). REGENERATE is the first and largest Phase 3 study in NASH - a chronic disease that threatens the lives of millions of people in the U.S. alone. Currently, there are no available treatments for NASH, and Intercept is among the leading companies focused on the disease.
Based on the positive results from REGENERATE, Intercept submitted the first new drug application (NDA) for a NASH treatment to the U.S. FDA in September 2019. The FDA has accepted Intercept's NDA, granted OCA priority review and set a June 26, 2020 Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) target action date for OCA. This is an exciting time for Intercept, as the organization prepares for a potential approval and launch in NASH. As part of this effort, Intercept is beginning to build a new commercial organization, and this opportunity in Market Access will play a pivotal role in preparing the company for the successful anticipated launch of OCA's second indication.
As a member of the Managed Markets team the Regional Access Manager (RAM) will be responsible for partnering with internal and external stakeholders to create and execute a business plan for assigned accounts with an objective of removing all access barriers, providing pull-through and issue resolution for all appropriate patients while optimizing conversions and adherence. Accounts may include HCPs, large specialty accounts, Academic Centers, Integrated Delivery Networks and others. The position reports to the Regional Access Director, US Market Access.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
* Execute on the vision and strategy created by the brand and market access teams specific to the unique business needs of each region/area to drive prescription fulfillment
* Lead and compliantly partner their regional team to achieve/exceed market access objectives for their assigned region at launch and beyond
* Work with Market Access and Sales leadership, Marketing, Channel and Patient Services to educate/execute support programs that will enhance our value proposition of removing barriers to access and Assist HCPs with understanding the regional/national coverage environment and provide appropriate patients a path to product
The successful RAM must be capable of thriving in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and should be energetic, forward-thinking, proactive, and ready to have fun.
The successful candidate must be able to perform each of the following satisfactorily:
* Establish Intercept Pharmaceuticals as a strategic partner with targeted accounts.
* Proactively engage with assigned accounts supporting internal/external customer access needs and compliantly engage within assigned geography to support access and adherence needs.
* Serve as an access expert for defined geography and communicate changes to key internal and external stakeholders. RAMs identify and address time sensitive market development and implementation efforts to remove all access barriers to OCALIVA for appropriate patients, while optimizing adherence.
* Lead and demonstrate the ability to expand and build long-term key stakeholder relationships with assigned accounts by working closely with them to help remove access barriers and optimize adherence to OCALIVA for their patients. Offer educational resources to support the entire patient access journey through payer prior authorization, appeals/denials procedures and forms to resolve any issues with access challenges.
* Coordinate and educate customers to the Intercept Patient Support Services program representatives to seamlessly support customer and patient-centric needs.
* Act as an extension of team to provide live one-on-one coverage support.
* Educate physician office staff on patient support services available through Intercept's patient assistance and call center, including web-based provider programs. This may include alternative support options for appropriate patients (e.g., copay, patient assistance). Provide information on relevant access topics.
* Proactively communicate, explain and adhere to Intercept-specific access services, resources, policies and procedures. Collaborate with Intercept's Strategic Accounts and Channel Accounts team to stay current with all payer access policies and market-relevant information. Elevate identified coverage issues and market access challenges for OCALIVA within this segment to the DSA/DCA teams for resolution.
* Develop and support internal triage process in collaboration with field leadership around coverage concerns including denials or appeals with a plan to remediate.
* Participate in special projects and perform other duties, as required.
* Adhere to all company policies and compliance training, as well as other legal and regulatory directives.
* Understand the legal and compliance environment and drive collaboration with the Legal and Compliance team
* Other duties as assigned.
Experience and Skills
* Undergraduate Degree
* 7 years of proven commercial experience within the biopharmaceutical industry (preferably with specialty pharmaceuticals experience)
* Extensive pharmacy benefit knowledge (specialty product specific).
* Knowledge and understanding of all payer segments (eg, Commercial, Medicare Part D)
* Broad-based business acumen is required
* Valid U.S. driver's license in good standing
* Graduate degree
* 5 years Market Access/Sales experience. Experience in Marketing, Market Access, Commercial Operations or Sales /Sales Training preferred.
* Knowledge and understanding of specialty markets, HUB/Reimbursement experience
* Previous experience launching orphan or specialty products
50% travel required, including overnight travel
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
* Achieving results through others
* Strong verbal and written communications skills
* Learning agility and 'scalability' to take on increasing responsibility as Intercept grows
* Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values: Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, Passion, Patient/Stakeholder Centricity
* Understand the legal and compliance environment
* Ability to have fun!