The job details are as follows:
What We Do
We build on the strength of our research and development expertise and a distinctive, entrepreneurial culture that encourages diversity, innovation, creativity, sustainability, and, simply, fun. Since inception, our mission has been to find a cure for pulmonary arterial hypertension and other life-threatening diseases. Toward this goal we have successfully gained FDA approval for five medicines, we are always conducting new clinical trials, and we are working to create an unlimited supply of manufactured organs for transplantation.
We are the first publicly-traded biotech or pharmaceutical company to take the form of a public benefit corporation (PBC). Our public benefit purpose is to provide a brighter future for patients through (a) the development of novel pharmaceutical therapies; and (b) technologies that expand the availability of transplantable organs. At the same time, we seek to provide our shareholders with superior financial performance and our communities with earth-sensitive energy utilization.
Our company was founded by an entrepreneur whose daughter was diagnosed with a life-threatening condition. She sought to find treatment options and a cure for her daughter and patients like her. We are founder-led, and relentless in our pursuit of “medicines for life”. We continue to research and develop treatments for cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases, and other orphan diseases.
How you’ll contribute
The Research Veterinarian will provide veterinary care for pigs in a designated pathogen free (DPF) facility. This role plays a critical part in the performance of all veterinary procedures (survival and non-surgeries, sample collection and necropsies) for the xenotransplantation program. The Research Veterinarian will provide routine veterinary care as well as preventive medical care, medical nursing, and euthanasia of the USDA covered species in addition to maintaining the animal health records.
- Manage all health aspects of pigs
- Diagnose and treat animals for medical conditions
- Assist and perform surgery on animals
- Test for and vaccinate against diseases
- Operate medical equipment
- Prescribe medication
- Manage semen collection and artificial insemination programs
- Maintain animal treatment records
- Euthanize and perform comprehensive necropsies on animals
- May be responsible for the supervision and professional development of licensed veterinary technician(s) and/or animal technician(s)
- Other duties as assigned
For this role you will need
- DVM at an accredited university with specialty focus on large animal care
- Virginia License to Practice Veterinary Medicine, USDA Level II Accreditation, Eligible for DEA License, or willingness to obtain Virginia License within the first 6 months of hire
- 5+ years of experience working in a Veterinary practice
- 3+ years of experience providing large animal veterinary care with preference toward porcine
- 3+ years of experience following IACUC and research protocols and working with controlled substances
- 3+ years of experience performing medical tests, observing behaviors, collecting samples, and administering medication to large animals
- Proficient in surgical skills and able to perform abdominal and general surgery
- Understanding and ability to apply principles of evidence-based medicine to a swine herd with unique needs and requirements
- Possess critical thinking and problem solving ability to provide novel solutions to medical problems
- Demonstrated understanding of GxP compliance
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite of applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, etc.)
- Ability to coach and train team members
- Ability to author or edit SOPs
- Must not have interaction with pigs outside of the company
- Ability to meet the following physical requirements:
- Lifting: 75 lbs
- Carrying: 50 lbs
- Pushing: 200 lbs
- Pulling: 200 lbs
- Understanding of US FDA CFR for Xenotransplantation products for human use
At United Therapeutics, you’ll realize quickly that it is not an ordinary place to work! When you join our company, you will learn, grow, contribute, have fun, and be challenged... all while making a difference in the lives of our patients.
While United Therapeutics does not require vaccination for Covid-19 at this time, we strongly encourage all employees and visitors to remain up to date on vaccinations and boosters to protect one another from illness. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere and comply with customers’ credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination against Covid -19, the influenza virus, and other illnesses that could be harmful to healthcare staff and patients.
United Therapeutics Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities