Requisition ID: RES002230
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck's world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck's powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you'll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of-the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck's world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck's network of drug and vaccine discovery.
The In Vitro Pharmacology group at MRL SSF is seeking an experienced Assay Development Scientist with a strong background in biochemical/cellular assays and lab automation. This individual will participate in a wide range of laboratory research activities, including assay development/optimization, compound screening/characterization, mechanism of action studies, and new technology development. As part of a multidisciplinary team with broad scientific and technical expertise, he or she will have the opportunity to contribute to highly integrated drug discovery projects across multiple therapeutic areas (cardiovascular, metabolic, immunology and oncology). Successful candidates should possess strong experimental and technical capabilities, have excellent analytical and communication skills, and excel in a highly collaborative cross-functional team environment.
• Design, perform and interpret experimental studies with limited supervision to support early-stage drug discovery projects for both small molecules and biologics.
• Develop, optimize and execute high-throughput biochemical and cell-based assays for compound screening, pharmacological characterization and SAR support.
• Utilize advanced laboratory automation and informatics tools for assay operation, and participate in the training, evaluation and implementation of new technology platforms.
• Conduct complex mechanism of action studies and detailed data analysis, and provide thorough documentation and communication of results to functional and project teams.
Education Minimum Requirement:
• BS/MS degree in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Pharmacology or a related scientific discipline
Required Experience and Skills**:
• A minimum of 6 years of laboratory experience in early-stage drug discovery research at a biotech or pharma setting
• Broad knowledge of biochemistry, cell biology/immunology, pharmacology and assay development principles is required, as well as solid experimental design, troubleshooting and data analysis skills
• Strong expertise in biochemical and cellular assay development using diverse measurement technologies that should include several of the followings: ELISA, MSD, FP, TR-FRET, AlphaScreen, receptor binding/signaling, fluorescence imaging, and reporter assays
• Mammalian cell culture and septic techniques are essential
• Highly skilled in molecular techniques for gene targeting/editing and cell line generation, such as RNAi, viral transduction, CRISPR and exogenous gene expression
• Hands-on experience in laboratory automation (including liquid handlers, dispensers and integrated robotics) and application process development.
• An energetic self-starter and team player with excellent organization and communication skills, highly flexible and responsive to evolving project needs
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Prior experience in immune cell isolation/differentiation and immunological assays (flow cytometry and imaging)
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com .
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
Job: Research Science (59000450)
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland