Requisition ID: RES002176
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Our research division in South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research and exploring the most promising science in small molecules and biologics to achieve new milestones in healthcare. Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new, state-of- the-art laboratories, spans exploratory through early clinical development and is an integral part of our organization's world-class global R&D organization.
We are creating a premier, research-intensive organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of integrity, respect and collaboration. We are committed to creating breakthrough medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. At our research division in South San Francisco, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and advancing your career.
Our organization is currently seeking an exceptional scientist to join the Separation Sciences team, engaged in purifying and characterizing novel compounds within the Discovery Chemistry Department located at our South San Francisco, CA site. The successful candidate will be highly self-motivated with a strong attention to detail and be responsible for developing analytical methods and provide purification support of Small Molecules, Peptides, and ADC classes of molecules in an automated high throughput environment.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Develop achiral/chiral methods and isolate desired products from crude reaction mixtures (milligram - gram scale) with mass-directed purification systems (LC and SFC).
- Support new technology, informatics, and laboratory workflow implementation.
- Operate automated liquid handling systems and centrifugal evaporators.
- Handle electronic data, interpret results, and communicate with Discovery Chemistry and Biology.
- Troubleshoot and maintain analytical and preparative systems.
- Perform general laboratory logistics and ordering.
- Maintain accurate lab records and documentation.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- B.S. / M.S. in analytical chemistry, chemistry or related field with 3+ years industrial experience in a pharmaceutical/biotech setting.
Required Experience and Skills:
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Working knowledge of analytical and / or preparative instrumentation (e.g. HPLC, MS, SFC) and vendor specific software packages (e.g. MassLynx, ChemStation).
- May have experience in high-throughput lab operations such as compound array purification, liquid handling instruments, data interpretation, and informatics.
- May have technical knowledge in chromatography and separations involving small molecules, peptides, proteins, and / or ADCs.
- Strong organizational and troubleshooting skills with the ability to independently resolve issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with individuals in multiple functional areas.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced team environment.
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Research Science (59000450)
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: General Lab Materials
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland