We are seeking a research scientist to join the Genetic Toxicology group within the Investigative Laboratory Sciences (ILS) Department in Safety Assessment and Laboratory Animal Resources (SALAR). This individual will be part of a high performing group responsible for the design and conduct of in vitro genotoxicity studies (e.g., Ames assay, in vitro micronucleus), under both screening and Good Laboratory Practice (GLP), in support of drug discovery and preclinical drug candidate selection and development.
Primary Responsibilities:In this role, the scientist:
- Will work with bacteria and/or mammalian cell cultures to perform genetic toxicology assays.
- Will work in close collaboration with other scientists within the genetic toxicology group, ILS and SALAR.
- Will have a range of practical laboratory skills and demonstrated expertise with aseptic techniques for handling bacteria and cell cultures.
- Experience with the Ames microbial mutagenesis assay and/or the in vitro micronucleus assay would be an advantage along with familiarity with GLP guidelines and procedures.
- Will be expected to work in a team, be flexible with rapidly changing work assignments/schedules and priorities, demonstrate problem-solving skills, and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Education Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science (Biology, Cellular & Molecular biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry or related sciences) plus 3 years of laboratory experience OR; a MS degree with some relevant laboratory experience.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Demonstrated laboratory skills in cellular and molecular biology including in vitro bacterial and/or cell culture techniques.
- Preferred experience with genetox assay design and conduct, such as Ames and/or in vitro MN assays.
- Ability to successfully collaborate among a range of diverse scientific backgrounds, with the ability to adapt, work in a matrix environment, and often on tight timelines.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: