Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking a compound screening and automation Scientist who will join a multidisciplinary team to support high throughput screening utilizing robotic liquid handling platforms. Candidates will develop and execute in vitro biochemical and cell-based assays. The primary responsibility of this position will be to consistently generate high quality data and meet agreed upon timelines. In close collaboration with the drug discovery teams you will contribute to establish the screening cascade including medium and low throughput assays to characterize and profile small molecules. You will work within a highly collaborative group focused on novel drug discovery against infectious diseases.
- This is a lab-based position with a focus on development of novel as well as miniaturization of existing binding, biochemical and cell-based assays including infection assays.
- Establishing and optimization of liquid handling protocols and data flow and consistency
- Comprehensive documentation of experiments, data analysis and QC
- Collaborating closely with project teams to optimize the screening strategy integrating high throughput assays and lower throughput orthogonal assays for efficient compound profiling
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD in biochemistry, cell biology, or related subject with experience in mammalian cell culture, assay development, automation and/or High Throughput Screening (or equivalent blend of education and experience) strongly preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad practical experience in cell and molecular biology techniques (establishing cell lines, cell culture, transfection and transduction, reporter assays, protein expression and purification, fluorescent cell staining, automated microscopy, biochemical and biophysical assays) preferred.
- Experience miniaturizing assays or adapting traditional biochemical and cell-based assays into HTS amenable formats preferred.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for liquid handling automation.
- Track record in establishing a screening cascade for small molecule characterization including cellular target engagement and surrogate efficacy models.
- Experience with characterization of the molecular mechanism of action of small molecules in a drug discovery context.
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.