About the Department
Dicerna, a Novo Nordisk company, is focused on driving innovation in RNAi (ribonucleic acid interference) to selectively target and silence genes that cause or contribute to disease. Our proprietary GalXC™ and GalXC-Plus™ RNAi technologies have the potential to address conditions that are difficult or impossible to treat with other modalities. Established as a Transformational Research Unit (TRU) following Novo Nordisk’s acquisition of Dicerna Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in December 2021, the Dicerna TRU is a unique new organization within Novo Nordisk that brings together the best of both worlds – the agility, collaborative pioneering spirit and calculated risk-taking profile of a biotech along with the scale, resources and capabilities of a global leader in drug development. With approximately 200 researchers, scientists, drug developers and operational staff, we are a team of inventive and entrepreneurial thinkers pushing the boundaries of science to create and drive new RNAi-based therapies for both rare and more prevalent diseases from the bench to the clinic. Together, we are driving change. Are you ready to make a difference?
We are seeking an individual to fill the Scientist, Translational Biology role as it is a key member of Dicerna's Biology teams. The candidate will engage in multiple research and discovery efforts that aim to develop therapeutics to treat patients with rare and common diseases. We are seeking a highly skilled scientist with experience in target identification capable of identifying mechanism-of-action and conducting pharmacology studies. This position will involve hands on work in vivo and in vitro models of disease. Outcome measures will include a wide range of molecular and cell biology assays. The successful candidate will interact closely with members of Translational Biology and other groups within Dicerna. You will apply your expertise in animal models and deep understanding of molecular and cellular biology to study hepatic and extrahepatic diseases, play a key role in all phases of drug discovery and clinical development at Dicerna.
Reports to Senior Scientist, Translational Biology.
- Provide scientific and technical ability to assess new target and therapeutic hypotheses for the Translational Biology group
- Experience with animal handling/small rodent surgeries, compound administration in rodents via multiple routes (e.g. intravenous, subcutaneous, intramuscular, intracerebroventricular)
- Broad expertise in laboratory techniques (e.g. RNA isolation/qPCR, Western blot, ELISA, immunohistochemistry, fluorescence/confocal microscopy, in situ hybridization)
- Excellent skills in communication, presentation, collaboration, time-management, lab record keeping
- Work closely with Dicerna’s research team members to develop molecular and cellular assays to quickly and effectively address key questions related to the safety and efficacy of our drugs
- Review literature and provide insights to research directions, while making hands-on contributions to the research
- Develop in vivo model systems and technologies to evaluate efficacy, pharmacodynamics, and mechanisms of action of drug candidates
- Serve as a role model for compliant behavior that is consistent with the mission, vision and values of the Dicerna organization
0-10% overnight travel required.
- PhD in molecular biology, genetics, or related discipline with 2 or more years post-PhD experience in an academic or biopharma/biotech setting with hands-on molecular biology experience
- Experience in designing and performing molecular and cellular biology techniques, including but not limited to administration of test compounds, collecting tissue samples RNA preparation, RT-qPCR, ELISA, immunohistochemistry, western blot
- In depth knowledge of, and hands-on experience with, in vitro and in vivo models used for mechanistic investigation and new target identification
- A true team player with high degree of energy and a passion for contributing to the discovery and development of novel therapeutics
- A mentor and coach for more junior people who might be reporting to you or others in the group
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A documented and strong ability to collaborate with colleagues productively in a fast-paced environment
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
Novo Nordisk requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Novo Nordisk will consider requests for reasonable accommodation.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.