Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking a highly motivated Scientist I to join our St. Louis, MO team. This individual will help drive new efforts in the discovery and development of novel therapies for the treatment of infectious diseases with a focus on Hepatitis B/D Virus infections. You will work within a highly collaborative group passionate about in vivo murine models of infectious disease research. The successful candidate will participate in discovery and translational research efforts sought at identifying and characterizing novel therapeutic targets, investigating mechanism of action of therapeutics, and defining efficient drug combinations through evaluation in the appropriate in vivo models.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Independently conduct scientific research to support the development of novel infectious disease therapies with focus on Hepatitis B and D Virus infections.
- Conduct high quality in vivo studies and work with cross-functional teams to design in vivo studies and disease models in a BSL2 and BSL3 environment.
- Maintain a current understating of significant literature and methodology, as well as the scientific literature related to the specific Vir pipeline projects
- Responsible for the execution of advanced research activities utilizing expertise in areas of virology, microbiology, molecular and cell biology .
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD in microbiology, virology or a related field OR MS with a minimum of 6 years experience OR BA/BS with a minimum of 8 years of relevant industry experience
- Must have extensive hands-on experience working with in vivo murine models of viral infectious disease, preferably with HBV or HDV
- Extensive experience with different routes of injection (IN, IP, IV, SC) and blood/tissue collection in mice.
- Experience working with BSL2 level pathogens.
- Expertise in molecular biology methods including nucleic acid purification, qPCR, molecular cloning, Western Blot, ELISA, fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry and more.
- Highly knowledgeable in cell culture methodology and aseptic technique
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.