Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking a highly motivated and collaborative scientist to help drive new efforts in the discovery and development of novel therapies for the treatment of infectious disease. You will work within a highly collaborative group environment with other passionate scientists. The successful candidate will participate in discovery and translational research efforts aimed at identifying and characterizing novel therapeutic targets, investigating mechanism of action of therapeutics and defining optimal drug combinations through evaluation in the appropriate in vitro models. There will be a strong emphasis on cellular innate immunity and cytokine biology using in vitro models of acute viral infection such as influenza and SARS-CoV-2, and studies in the setting of chronic infection such as HBV. Experience and understanding of innate immune responses related to diverse microbial pathogens is preferred.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Lead, planning, validation, execution, and interpretation of cutting-edge in vitro immunologic discovery experiments of considerable scope and complexity.
- Will apply expertise in immunology, virology, molecular biology and cell biology.
- Independently plans and executes medium-throughput screening experiments as well as more complex cell and molecular experiments to investigate the mechanism of action of novel therapies.
- Present scientific work in peer-reviewed journals, scientific conferences, and internal meetings.
- Maintain project timelines and actively participate in team meetings.
- Keeps detailed and accurate records of activities, experimental details, and results related to assigned projects.
- Provide scientific mentorship to team members.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD and 3+ years of relevant industry/academic experience with focus in either immunology or infectious disease strongly preferred. Some postdoctoral experience is preferred.
- Must have a broad fundamental understanding of the immune response to acute and chronic infections.
- Solid understand and experience working with innate immune cell and traditional cell culture models and with various cell-based assays (viability/cytotoxicity, flow cytometry, immunofluorescence, apoptosis, growth assays).
- Hands-on experience in a wide variety of cell biology & molecular biology techniques including nucleic acid purification, qPCR, molecular cloning, Western Blot, ELISA, fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry and more.
- Experience with arrayed High Throughput Screening (HTS) and/or large pooled CRISPR screens is preferred.
- Must be a creative and critical thinker, and able to work with direction and independently to determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems.
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.