About the Department
The Novo Nordisk Research Center Indianapolis, Inc. (NNRCII) supports our global mission to transform the treatment of chronic diseases through the discovery of high-quality drug candidates and disruptive technology innovations. We operate as a Transformational Research Unit (TRU), meaning we are a relatively small team of elite interdisciplinary researchers working in unison yet with autonomy relative to the global R&D organization—essentially a biotech-like ecosystem within the Novo Nordisk biosphere. We have multiple strategic collaborations with internationally acclaimed academic centers of excellence and emerging biotech’s, which we view as an integral part of our discovery research process and essential for our fundamental scientific endeavors. Collectively, this allows us to focus our efforts on data generation and translation of research hypotheses to foster quick data-driven, non-stochastic decisions.
We are keenly focused on grassroot discovery projects pertaining to cardio-metabolic diseases and rare endocrine disorders, and we are responsible for driving projects from ideation to clinical development. In addition to drug discovery research, we also explore novel chemical biology technologies to optimize the therapeutic applications of peptides/proteins as well as biotechnologies that catalyze the pursuits of therapeutic modalities new to Novo Nordisk.
Our dynamic team of scientists has a strong track record publishing our findings, and we have established a precedence of delivering high-priority assets with novel mechanisms of action to the pipeline. At NNRCII, you will be joining an extraordinary and diverse team of medicinal chemists and cross-functional biologists that conducts pioneering pharmacological research with lean workflows, adaptive agility, and cooperative emphasis on fast-paced decisions to create transformational patient solutions. Are you ready for a life-changing opportunity to discover life-changing medicines?
The Scientist II will provide scientific leadership in the identification and validation of new drug targets specifically for NASH, advancing novel therapies to the clinic, and developing novel cellular technologies and therapies to accelerate drug research. This will be achieved by coordinating multiple research activities involving cross-functional project teams to ensure achievement of key deliverables. The Scientist II will represent the organization to the external scientific community through publication and presentation of research and through participation in external collaborations.
Reports to of the Site Head of Novo Nordisk Research Center Indianapolis & Senior Director of the Transformational Research Unit-Chemical Biology.
Internal relationships include project teams and research colleagues in Seattle, Indianapolis, Denmark, and around the globe. Communicates data externally when required. Close relationships with colleagues in Global Liver Disease Research. Individual Contributor: does not manage other employees or contingent workers.
- Advances drug discovery research projects by demonstrating biological and pharmacological expertise, creativity, and scientific leadership in liver disease research, notably expertise in the fibrotic and inflammatory etiologies of NASH.
- Spearhead local drug discovery efforts aimed at identifying, evaluating, validating, and advancing new ideas with respect to biological targets and biochemical modalities indicated for NASH, particularly targeting fibrotic and inflammatory pathogenic mechanisms.
- Drive project proposals and project advancements, which includes project planning/evaluation as well as hands-on laboratory work with in vitro/ex vivo assays and a deep understanding of the most relevant in vivo models for appropriate fit-for-purpose needs.
- Effectively communicates and collaborates across global sites and guides project strategy by providing leadership of cross-functional project teams. Represents the organization through external communication of impactful scientific research in the form of presentation at external conferences and publication in scientific journals and patents. May manage external collaborations.
- Maintains a strong understanding of theoretical knowledge and a connection to the external scientific community through continuous evaluation of relevant literature. Expands the capabilities of discovery biology and pharmacology through the generation of new ideas, evaluation of new heterogeneous cell systems/organoids, and implementation of cell-based assay and therapy strategies that add value.
- Leads cross-functional experimental teams to achieve project goals, mentor junior staff, and provide training.
- Influences the research pipeline by proposing new projects that support the strategic agenda.
Novo Nordisk requires all employees, both Field and Office-based, to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Novo Nordisk will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. You will be required to upload an image of your COVID-19 vaccine card at the time of hire and/or on your first day of employment
- Bachelor 's degree 15+ years’ relevant experience required. Degree in biology or pharmacology preferred.
- OR a Doctoral degree with 4+ years’ post-doctoral and/or industry relevant experience, or a Master’s degree with 10+ years’ relevant experience, can be considered.
- Relevant required experience includes some combination of:
- Strong experience in proposing and evaluating drug discovery targets directed towards NASH
- Strong experience with cell-based models of NASH to characterize drug targets for proof of concept and mechanism
- Strong experience with in vivo models of NASH and designing fit-for-purpose proof of concept studies based on the target’s mechanisms of action
- Strong experience in cell-based assays aimed to evaluate target engagement, function, and phenotypic consequence of diverse biochemical, genetic, and cell-based based drug modalities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Preferred experience includes:
- Strong publication and patent track record
- Strong publication and patent track record
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.