Requisition ID: MAN006031
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that's committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
At the Merck Manufacturing facility in Elkton, Virginia, we currently have a Senior Manufacturing Automation Engineer position available. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to apply their enthusiasm and technical skills as a member of a multidisciplinary team supporting the operation of pharmaceutical product manufacturing facilities.
- Providing lead automation support for various manufacturing systems such as Programmable Logic Controllers , Distributed Control Systems and Original Equipment Manufacturer platforms.
- Providing leadership for automation upgrade and new installation projects.
- Evaluates automation systems and develops strategies to ensure quality and stability of automation systems through future expansion, replacement, or upgrade
- Initiate and lead collaboration within the Operations, Quality and Technical organizations to resolve complex problems
- Responsible for trouble-shooting challenging equipment / automation issues to improve manufacturing performance (yield, cycle time, reliability, etc.) and maintaining the automation systems in compliance with current Good Manufacturing Principles (cGMPs)
- Responsibilities will potentially include providing automation support on various shifts and remote off-hour coverage support for trouble calls.
- Must be willing to work closely with various site and central groups in order to ensure control systems are designed, implemented and maintained in a manner to ensure manufacturing requirements are met
- Providing training and serving as a mentor for junior engineers
- Designing solutions to ensure quality and stability of automation systems through future expansions, replacements, or upgrades.
- Using technical knowledge to assure the efficient operation of a variety of automated processing and information technology systems. Takes a lead role in installing and placing new equipment into operation.
- Develops solutions for automation problems. Oversees investigations of automation anomalies to prevent recurrence.
- Understand and support all cGMPs, safety, and environmental regulations.
- Communicates daily with operation, technical, and quality representatives within area of support through the tier process.
- Periodically reviews automation documents, performs preventive maintenance, and revises or develops automation Standard Operating Procedures.
- Develops and supports corrective actions associated with automation related deviations/investigations
- Communicates periodically with immediate supervisor about the status of area of responsibility
- Participates in audits and training programs in the area of responsibility
- On the floor trouble shooting support of manufacturing activities
- Identifies and implements process/equipment improvements and manufacturing efficiencies
- Maintains all system life cycle documentation
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Systems, Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, or Information technology
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 7 years of experience supporting automated manufacturing as an automation engineer or system administrator
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience with the following platforms is desired: OSI-PI, Infobatch, SQL, Emerson DeltaV, and Allen Bradley PLC.
- Experience with VB, XML, XSL
- Experience with data analysis or data mining
- Batch Processing and S88 standard
- Knowledge of GAMP standard
- Knowledge of Lean six Sigma
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Manufacturing Automation
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 2
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Harrisonburg
Nearest Secondary Market: Virginia