Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking an employment attorney to join our legal team. This position will report to our Vice President, Corporate Law and be responsible for advising on employment and personnel matters on behalf of Vir Biotechnology, providing expert advice to human resources department, and helping to improve our best practices related to Vir's employment law function.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Provide advice on legal business matters pertaining to employment law aspects, executive compensation and benefits and other corporate law aspects, as needed
- Assist or lead employment investigations and advise company on appropriate legal action to be taken
- Review employment policies, and advise human resources about such policies
- Advise human resources about employment contracts, mediate issues between employees and employers, and represent Vir in court in employment law cases
- Collaborate and actively foster strong relationships with stakeholders (such as human resources, other legal functions) to understand business needs and ensure employment law aligns with those needs
- Advise company on best practices and provide legal updates affecting employment law and related areas, such as, employment contracts, executive compensation, workers' compensation, termination of employment, sexual harassment, workplace safety, wage and overtime standards, discrimination against employees based on age, ancestry, color, creed, disability, marital status, medical conditions, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation, employee benefits like leaves of absence and retirement plans, etc.
- Coordinate employment law legal matters handled by outside counsel
- Assist on other corporate law and compliance matters, as needed
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- JD degree and admitted to CA State Bar with membership in good standing
- 10+ years of experience as an employment attorney in a California company legal department and/or a law firm
- Outstanding working knowledge of employment rules and regulations
- Hands-on experience in handling employment cases, including wrongful termination, discrimination, and wage and hour matters
- Experience in a pharmaceutical/biotech legal department is a plus
- Ability to effectively manage outside counsel, when used, and adhere to a budget
- Strong verbal and written skills, and ability to effectively present to and engage with a wide range of internal and external audiences
- Excellent negotiation and persuasion skills, both in one-on-one and group settings
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, one Friday a month paid-time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.