IQVIA™ is the leading human data science company focused on helping healthcare clients find unparalleled insights and better solutions for patients. Formed through the merger of IMS Health and Quintiles, IQVIA offers a broad range of solutions that harness the power of healthcare data, domain expertise, transformative technology, and advanced analytics to drive healthcare forward.
The Senior Medical Director provides medical and scientific support to clinical research programs, study teams and investigators. The Senior Medical Director also provides review, advice, and leadership for potentially or awarded clinical research programs.
The Senior Medical Director role is a team member participant role and functions in a matrix report to project teams much like other members of the project teams. The primary role of Senior Medical Director is to provide medical oversight for clinical trials by serving as Medical Monitor for studies conducted by IQVIA Biotech on behalf of sponsor companies. The principal function of a Medical Monitor is to serve as primary contact for the sponsor medical team and to serve as front line medical resource to support the project team. The Medical Monitor is customarily available 24/7 to answer questions from site coordinators and investigators on protocol inclusion/exclusion criteria, protocol clarifications, and compliance issues, and to provide review of alert labs per sponsor preference. Major duties of the Medical Director are outlined below:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Functions as project team member
- Provides medical and scientific input to clinical research programs including review of new business proposals, preclinical and/or clinical data, study protocols, training materials, informed consent, Investigator Drug Brochures, eCRFs, analysis plan designs, clinical study reports, regulatory approval submissions, serious and non-serious adverse event evaluation and reporting
- Ensures medical activities run according to GCP and operate with highest efficiency
- Establishes and maintains a network of medical/scientific consultants, etc.
- Supervises and manages Medical Director activities
- Interacts with clients regarding drug development programs, study design and protocol
- Reviews and provides input for protocol development. Interacts with key thought leaders and/or sponsor representatives to develop inclusion/exclusion criteria and study endpoints. Interacts in team approach to develop statistical and data management sections of the protocol. Reviews the final protocol for clinical, safety and efficacy variables.
- Provides project team training on protocol and/or therapeutic areas
- Assists team with developing criteria for investigator site selection and networking for potential investigators for study participation. Aids in review and final selection.
- Participates in subject recruitment and retention activities including individual calls to key opinion leaders, investigators and site staff and/or participation in teleconference and WebEx presentations
- Presents protocol and/or safety reporting information at investigator meetings
- Develops project medical monitoring plans as requested
- Provides on call coverage for protocol queries and site support. Provides first line contact for investigators and monitors regarding study related medical/safety issues and resolution of study protocol and patient eligibility issues.
Safety Monitoring and SAE Reporting Activities:
- Verifies the medical accuracy of patient safety data and maintains an ongoing assessment of the safety profile of the study
- Provides medical review of SAE reporting, writes and/or reviews SAE narratives, and works with the Safety Management Department to track SAEs and follow-up on outstanding safety queries, interacts with sponsor and discusses safety issues with site as needed
- Reviews IND/SUSAR Safety Reports (per sponsor preference), updates to Investigator Brochures, and annual IND reports with sponsor data
- In consultation with the sponsor, follow procedures for acquiring knowledge of subject treatment assignments (i.e. breaking the blind)
- Interact with appropriate FDA officials concerning safety and other study related issues, as requested
- Provides medical review of eCRFs for clinical accuracy
- Provides medical review of data analysis plan
- Reviews safety fields at case freeze for reconciliation (if needed)
- Works with data group to reconcile SAE events as needed
- Reviews medical coding of adverse events, laboratory data and concomitant medications for accuracy, coherence, consistency, and trends
- Reviews data tables, listings, and figures
- Reviews and/or writes portions of final clinical study report
DSMB/Adjudication Committee Activities: *
- May assist sponsor in choosing committee members
- May serve as a non-voting member to convene and organize proceedings
- May develop operating guidelines in conjunction with committee members and submits these to sponsor for review
- May determine data flow with sponsor to ensure reporting accuracy
- Can ensure DSMB feedback is given to sites for IRBs
- * All DSMB activities are usually managed by the Novella Oversight Management Group and not the Novella medical monitor
Business Development Activities
- Work with Business Development to actively solicit new business for IQVIA Biotech, including assistance with marketing presentations and proposal development
- Supports business development activities with proposal development and sales presentations
- Participates in feasibility discussions relating to specific project proposals
- Obtain literature searches to acquire background information for study proposals, preparation of training sessions, and interpretation of clinical data, report writing, etc.
- Assists with drafting of standard operating procedures and working practices regarding all Medical Director activities
- Participate in a variety of team quality improvement efforts as necessary
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested by the Chief Medical Officer
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work in partnership with a multidisciplinary group of colleagues, including translating concepts into practical approaches and promoting consensus
- Outstanding ability to work independently with minimal supervision, ability to work effectively within a team, and matrix environment
- Ability to organize and work efficiently on several projects, each with specific requirements and/or shifting priorities
- Excellent oral and written communications skills as well as interpersonal skills are essential
CRITICAL JOB FUNCTIONS IN ACCORDANCE WITH ADA CRITERIA:
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required
- Very limited physical effort required to perform normal job duties
MINIMUM RECRUITMENT STANDARDS:
- Current or prior license to practice medicine; board certification/eligibility ideal
- Minimum 3-5 years of biopharmaceutical industry experience or academic experience in clinical research and drug development
This position is classified as exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act; employees are not eligible for overtime compensation.
Making a positive impact on human health takes insight, curiosity, and intellectual courage. It takes brave minds, pushing the boundaries to transform healthcare. Regardless of your role, you will have the opportunity to play an important part in helping our clients drive healthcare forward and ultimately improve outcomes for patients.
Forge a career with greater purpose, make an impact, and never stop learning.
IQVIA is an EEO Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
IQVIA, Inc. provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to submit an application for employment or otherwise participate in the application process should contact IQVIA's Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for such an accommodation.
Job ID: R1091593