Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Bio is seeking a talented and highly motivated medicinal chemist with a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry to join our chemistry team. You will work within a highly collaborative group focused on infectious disease research. The successful candidate will participate in drug discovery efforts including chemical screening, hit characterization, and lead optimization culminating in the identification of novel therapeutics. You will work cross-functionally and be exposed to other groups within the company to advance programs from discovery into development.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Design and select target molecules based on emerging data and input from team members
- Plan and execute successful and efficient multi-step synthetic routes to target molecules
- Utilize advise from team members to optimize reactions and resolve synthetic challenges independently
- Select appropriate methods and techniques for compound purification and characterization
- Maintain a high level of scientific integrity and laboratory safety
- Accurately record data in an electronic laboratory notebook
- Maintain project timelines and participate in/present results at team meetings
- Demonstrate good verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Assist in maintaining laboratory equipment
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS in chemistry, or a related field, and 5+ years of industry experience OR MS and 3+ years of industry experience
- Highly skilled in synthetic organic chemistry techniques and familiar with standard chromatographic and analytical methods (HPLC, LCMS, and NMR)
- Proficiency with standard software packages (Microsoft Office applications, Scifinder or Reaxys, ChemDraw, etc.)
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, one Friday a month paid-time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.