Inspiration, imagination, and innovation. Here at Aerie Pharmaceuticals, we share this passion for finding new approaches to protecting vision. United by great science, deep clinical insight, and a singular focus on your ophthalmic needs, we see the possibilities ahead and invite you to join us in creating the future of eye care.
Aerie Pharmaceuticals seeks qualified candidates for a full-time position in our R&D, Manufacturing Implant department located in Research Triangle Park, NC. The Senior Scientist works in a hands-on, dynamic laboratory environment engaged in the analysis and characterization of raw materials, polymer formulation and process development support for the development of bioabsorbable drug eluding implants.
Duties & Responsibilities:
As a member of the Analytical team, play an important role in supporting our research and development efforts across multiple programs in the life sciences. Compensation will be provided based on experience.
This position offers challenge and growth opportunities for a highly motivated individual.
- Lead the design and development of novel analytical methodologies
- Perform and lead laboratory experimentation across a broad spectrum of responsibilities
- Directly responsible for superior technical execution through direct experimentation
- Provide technical interpretation, advice and consultation on analytical results to laboratory personnel.
- Conduct analytical analysis of specified samples using the appropriate analytical instruments, collect and analyze the data using the scientific data analysis method, well document the results and work with partners to resolve the technical challenges and issues
- May be responsible for supervision of junior technical personnel
- Apply scientific methods and observational and critical analysis skills to lead technical efforts
- Design experiments and conduct analytical experimental work to provide data-based conclusion about a process or product performance.
- May lead cross-functional team members to generate value-creating results
- May be responsible for leading team meetings
- Mentor junior employees in scientific methodology
- May be responsible for independent internal/external communication
- Oversee laboratory operations
- All other duties as assigned
- Proficiency with HPLC, GC-FID, GC-MS, LC-MS as well as common detection systems (UV, RI, MS, ELSD)
- Proficiency with physical polymer characterization testing methodologies (including DSC, TGA, Dynamic Rheology, FTIR, and microscopic imaging techniques) to develop predictive performance models i.e. accelerated aging and controlled degradation.
- Proficiency with common chromatographic partitioning techniques (RP, SEC, IEX, HILIC)
- Experience with operating in a GxP regulated environment
- Polymer characterization experience
- Write technical reports detailing procedures, outcomes, and observations.
- Prior experience with medical and/or pharmaceutical grade materials preferred, especially bioabsorbable/bioresorbable materials.
- Prior experience in in vitro degradation and active agent release studies and corresponding sample preparations for analysis.
- Prior experience working in an ISO 9001, ISO 13485, or GMP facility.
- Prior experience with developing and performing test methods in accordance with USP, FDA, and/or ASTM standards.
- Experience with the CMC transition from product research to development
- Proficiency in method, protocol and report writing
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be a creative, detail-oriented person with strong analytical and communication skills
Interpersonal and Team Skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills for working with diverse populations and management styles across multi-functional groups
- Ability to thrive in a multidisciplinary team environment is essential for success
- Strong team player working with both internal and external resources and stakeholders.
- Enthusiastic team player who enjoys both strategic and hands on work
- Adaptable to changing business and organizational demands and priorities
- Conduct multiple projects with efficiency and effectiveness
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. in a scientific/engineering field with 3+ years’ experience, M.S. degree in a scientific/engineering field with 5+ years’ experience, or B.S. degree in a scientific/engineering field with 10+ years’ experience
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Aerie Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.