Requisition ID: BIO005472
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck's Animal Health (MAH) Division works to improve the health of animals around the world through collaborative partnerships and a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and planet. This team of energetic, independent thinkers offers one of the industry's most innovative portfolios of products, services, and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species both domestically and internationally.
- The Senior Scientist will be engaged in complex research activities within the Merck Animal Health division in support of product licensure. This position will assist with project planning, study execution and reporting, and be involved with the daily work direction of lower level Laboratory Technicians. Activities will require close collaboration with Supervisor, other Scientists, and Research management and the ability to work in a cross-functional environment with other departments such as Clincial Research, Regulatory Affairs or Manufacturing.
- The Senior Scientist will conduct assigned research work, including the preparation of draft protocols, execution of laboratory work, coordination of animal study activities, data analysis, and report preparation. Lab activities are conducted according to company and departmental procedures. Laboratory work involves standard microbiological procedures including aseptic technique, cell culture, propagation and titration of viruses and bacteria and optimization of tissue culture methods. Further activities involve assistance in the development, optimization and validation of potency tests and other assays including ELISA, protein chromatography process development and scale-up and vaccine formulations. In addition, protein expression systems will be used.
- Assist in transfer of technology and discussion/communication at team meetings.
- Train Laboratory Technicians on laboratory work and assist in monitoring their assigned work to maintain good quality and compliance with policies and procedures.
- Manage own activities as they relate to team projects, and develop timelines for portions of team's projects to meet established goals and timelines. Fulfill general tasks within the organization related to lab maintenance, safety and equipment initiatives, etc.
- Serve as Study Investigator on projects in support of vaccine licensure. Write routine study protocols. Assist in the creation of study designs to achieve valid results. Assist in writing more complex laboratory and animal study protocols. Write study reports for routine work with limited supervision.
- Perform literature searches, read scientific journals and apply findings to improve current work.
Education Minimum Requirement:
M.S. degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry or a related field with at least 5 years of relevant work experience, or Ph.D. in Virology, Microbiology, Biochemistry or related field.
Required Experience and Skills**:
- Experience conducting research project activities and planning of timelines with minimal supervision
- Experience with assay development
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with proteins and molecular biology
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in vaccine development research or related field
- Experience working with technical and analytical equipment
- Experience with data management and analysis
- Experience with animal experiments (large animals would be a plus)
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices and Good Clinical Practices
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Hazardous Materials: Various chemicals and reagents in a Research lab setting
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Kansas City