This is an exciting career opportunity in the Biochemistry and Biophysics Group within the Department of Pharmacology at our Research and Development location in Boston. The successful candidate is expected to:
- Develop and implement quantitative biochemical and biophysical assays to support identification, characterization, and optimization of small molecule ligands from high throughput screening campaigns and medicinal chemistry efforts.
- Conduct biochemical and biophysical studies to elucidate the modes of ligand interaction and mechanisms of action on target proteins
- Provide biochemical and biophysical assay support for target validation efforts.
- Collaborate within the pharmacology department and across functional areas to enable generation of protein/cell reagents and implementation of emerging technology platforms
- Contribute to multiple projects simultaneously, applying different approaches and techniques to each as needed
Education Minimum Requirement:
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree with 6 years of related industry experience OR A Master's with a minimum 4 years of related industry experience OR A PhD with less than 1 year (either Academic or industry) relevant experience
Required Experience and Skills:
- Record of one or more peer-reviewed original research paper in one or more of the following areas: protein structure and conformation, protein-protein/protein-ligand interaction, antibody-antigen interaction, receptor pharmacology, enzyme reaction mechanisms and/or mechanism of enzyme inhibition.
- Proven ability to independently design, develop and implement biochemical and biophysical screening assays using an array of detection modalities.
- Hands-on experience performing steady-state kinetic experiments to study enzymes and inhibitors.
- Direct experience in recombinant protein expression using bacteria, insect (baculovirus) and/or mammalian cell-based systems and purification using automated chromatographic separation systems.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and communication skills and a proven ability to work in a team or collaboration-based environment.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Use of automated liquid handlers such as Echo, Bravo, Biomek, or Hamilton and data analysis and presentation software such as TIBCO Spotfire.
- Experience with TR-FRET, FP, LC-MS, radiochemical, surface plasmon resonance (BIAcore), fluorescence-based thermal shift (TdF), and/or isothermal titration calorimetry (ITC).
- Assay development and compound profiling experience within a drug discovery environment
- Mammalian cell culture techniques including transfection, immunoprecipitation, and proteomic analysis.
- Investigating intracellular ligand target interactions.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as "Merck" in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as "MSD" in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world's biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Laboratory chemicals and untested Merck compounds
Number of Openings: