Requisition ID: PHA001515
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We are currently seeking a Senior Scientist to join our Biochemistry and Biophysics Group within the Department of Pharmacology. This position will be based at our research lab in Boston, MA.
In this exciting role, you will:
- Develop and implement quantitative biochemical and biophysical assays to support identification, characterization, and optimization of small molecule ligands from high throughput screening campaigns and medicinal chemistry efforts.
- Conduct biochemical and biophysical studies to elucidate the modes of ligand interaction and mechanisms of action on target proteins
- Provide biochemical and biophysical assay support for target validation efforts.
Collaborate within the pharmacology department and across functional areas to enable generation of protein/cell reagents and implementation of emerging technology platforms
- Contribute to multiple projects simultaneously, applying different approaches and techniques to each as needed
Education Minimum Requirement:
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree with 6 years of related industry experience OR A Master's with a minimum 4 years of related industry experience OR A P hD with less than 1 year (either Academic or industry) relevant experience
Required Experience and Skills:
- Record of one or more peer-reviewed original research paper in one or more of the following areas: protein structure and conformation, protein-protein/protein-ligand interaction, antibody-antigen interaction, receptor pharmacology, enzyme reaction mechanisms and/or mechanism of enzyme inhibition.
- Proven ability to independently design, develop and implement biochemical and biophysical screening assays using an array of detection modalities.
- Hands-on experience performing steady-state kinetic experiments to study enzymes and inhibitors.
- Direct experience in recombinant protein expression using bacteria, insect (baculovirus) and/or mammalian cell-based systems and purification using automated chromatographic separation systems.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and communication skills and a proven ability to work in a team or collaboration-based environment.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Use of automated liquid handlers such as Echo, Bravo, Biomek, or Hamilton and data analysis and presentation software such as TIBCO Spotfire.
- Experience with TR-FRET, FP, LC-MS, radiochemical, surface plasmon resonance (BIAcore), fluorescence-based thermal shift (TdF), and/or isothermal titration calorimetry (ITC).
- Assay development and compound profiling experience within a drug discovery environment
- Mammalian cell culture techniques including transfection, immunoprecipitation, and proteomic analysis.
- Investigating intracellular ligand target interactions.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Pharmacology - DPS
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Hazardous Materials: Laboratory chemicals and untested Merck compounds
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Boston