Requisition ID: RES002229
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck's world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck's powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you'll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of-the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck's world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck's network of drug and vaccine discovery.
The In Vitro Pharmacology group at MRL SSF is seeking an experienced and innovative Senior Scientist with a strong background in cellular immunology and pharmacology. The successful candidate will support multiple programs in the discovery of novel treatment for diseases with dysregulated immunity, such as chronic inflammation, autoimmunity and tumor immunology. Primary responsibilities include immunological and pharmacological studies of targets, pathways and therapeutic agents in relation to disease mechanisms, using in vitro and ex vivo models. As part of a multidisciplinary team with broad scientific and technical expertise, he or she will participate in highly integrated drug discovery research across diverse therapeutic areas (cardiovascular, metabolic, immunology and oncology). Successful candidates should demonstrate strong experimental and technical capabilities, have excellent analytical and communication skills, and excel in a highly collaborative cross-functional environment.
• Provide cellular immunology and assay development support for preclinical drug discovery programs that target diseases with underlying immune dysregulation.
• Establish essential immunological assays and models, suitable for mechanistic investigation and therapeutic evaluation of small molecules and biologics.
• Independently design, perform and interpret complex biochemical and cellular studies that enable the identification, characterization and differentiation of lead candidates.
• Represent the Pharmacology function on interdisciplinary project teams and collaborate both internally and externally to drive program success.
Education Minimum Requirement:
• Ph.D. in Immunology, Cell Biology, Pharmacology or a related scientific discipline
Required Experience and Skills**:
• Broad experience in immunology-based drug discovery preferably in a pharma or biotech setting
• Expert knowledge of adaptive and innate immunology and immune tolerance, including the roles of various immune cells and cytokines in immune regulation and disease pathobiology
• Solid expertise in cell-based immunological assays such as T-cell, B-cell and dendritic cell differentiation, proliferation and function, as well as receptor binding, occupancy and signaling assays using advanced biochemical, cellular and pharmacological techniques
• Highly skilled in the aseptic isolation and culture of rodent and human primary immune cells and functional analysis using flow cytometry and cellular imaging
• Hands-on experience in molecular techniques for gene targeting/editing and cell line generation, such as RNAi, viral transduction, CRISPR and exogenous gene expression
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively to advance drug discovery projects in a cross-functional environment, with excellent organization and communication skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Prior experience with complex co-culture and/or 3D models and the integration of such systems into mechanistic characterization of lead candidates
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com .
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
Job: Research Science (59000450)
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland