Requisition ID: RES002203
The Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) Exploratory Science Center (ESC) Cambridge, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is a newly created entity focused on driving early-phase discovery research and serves as a regional innovation hub within an expansive scope of disease research areas. As such, it aims to develop cutting-edge internal research programs, as well as to foster hands-on collaborations between internal scientists and external academic partners in order to access, explore, and develop the most promising areas of emerging biomedical science.
Our ability to excel depends on the passion, integrity, knowledge, imagination, skills, and teamwork of our scientists and staff. To this end, we strive to create a fast-paced, innovative, nimble, flexible and diverse environment of mutual respect, creativity, inspiration, and shared vision. Additionally, with access to Merck's proven global R&D organization, ESC scientists have the resources and opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues from other Merck sites, while developing and expanding their careers.
We are seeking a Senior Scientist to join our Chemoproteomics and Target Discovery group within Experimental Biology at the Merck ESC in Cambridge, MA. We are looking for an experienced and innovative Bioanalytical Chemist/Chemical Biologist to be part of a highly-collaborative, energetic and impassioned team.
The team is driven by end-goals of discovering novel targets and therapeutic modalities in the following areas:
• Host-pathogen interactions in important infectious diseases
• Host-microbiome interactions in healthy and disease states
• Other key areas of research within Merck, such as inflammation, cardiovascular, metabolic, and neurodegenerative diseases
Specifically, we seek a highly motivated scientist with experience in Quantitative Proteomics, whose primary responsibility will be to perform LC-MS-based Proteomics experiments in order to address key scientific questions from project teams. You will be responsible for independently conducting experiments from cell culture, to sample preparation, LC-MS data acquisition, data analysis and interpretation.
In this role you will:
- Contribute to several projects at various stages of development, especially in the exploratory stage, including extensive technology platform development and the development of novel methodologies and approaches.
- Participate in the extensive local network of external academic research collaborations underway at the ESC. The ability to build, foster and expand these collaborations is a strong attribute. Publication of non-proprietary results in major peer reviewed journals is strongly encouraged.
- Identify, adopt, and implement innovative Chemoproteomics-based technologies into cell-based systems.
- Design and execute cell-based experiments to probe new biology and validate new targets.
- Act as a leader from the bench, driving research programs, strategies, and ideas to completion.
- Contribute to the collective knowledge of multidisciplinary teams through extensive idea exchange and collaboration.
- Stay current on emerging technologies and provide scientific mentoring and technical training of team members, as appropriate.
- Produce summary reports, attend scientific conferences, present results as talks and posters at scientific conferences, when appropriate, summarize relevant research findings in publication.
This is a lab-based position and an excellent opportunity for someone seeking scientific and career growth in a multidisciplinary area of drug discovery. Your personal drive, growth and career development will contribute to the success of our team.
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of a Master's Degree with 5 years or more Academic or Industry experience OR a Ph.D. with less than a year to 3 years or more Academic or Industry experience.
- Focused degree in Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Molecular Biology, Biomedical Sciences or other related areas.
- Expertise in mass-spectrometry-based Proteomics, including experiences within some of the following key areas: Quantitative Proteomics (TMT, SILAC, LFQ), protein post-translational modification characterization, protein-protein interaction mapping, protein cross-linking studies, Chemoproteomics, targeted PRM analyses, and ultra-low input sample studies.
- Experience in isolating protein from cells, tissue and biofluids, selective immuno- or chemical- affinity enrichment of proteins and peptides from complex biological material, peptide sample-prep for mass spectrometry.
- Extensive experience developing, trouble-shooting, and performing nano-LC-MS experiments.
- Experience in analyzing and interpreting LC-MS data using custom, public, and commercially available software suites.
- Proven track record of productive bench science with a strong publication record.
- Rigorous analytical and critical thinking, independent problem solving. Effective written and oral communication skills.
- A team player who works effectively within a diverse team of co-workers and across disciplines. Highly communicative and collaborative in nature.
- Impassioned to contribute to cutting-edge biomedical research and drug discovery.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Hands-on experience using and maintaining Thermo Orbitrap-based MS systems.
- Experience with activity-based protein profiling (ABPP) and affinity-based probe usage.
- Experience with various affinity purification methods, including proximity-based labeling technologies, such as Sortase-tagging and Apex/BioID biotinylation.
- Experience with FACS and microfluidic-based cell handling.
- Experience with off-line LC peptide fractionation, robotic automation, and liquid handling systems.
- Experience with molecular biology and cell culture, cell-line engineering, CRISPR/Cas9 gene manipulation, clinical sample handling and co-culture systems.
- Experience with cell-based screening assays.
- Familiarity with Metabolomics, Next Gen Sequencing, and other Systems Biology data streams and familiarity with techniques and software for integrated quantities pathway analyses.
- Computational biology/ coding skills (e.g., R, Python, Perl, C++, MatLab); Competences in bioinformatics and statistics.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Research Science
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Cambridge
Nearest Secondary Market: Boston