Our Research Scientists are our Inventors. We identify and target steps in disease mechanisms or pathways that could be inhibited or enhanced. Our goal is to isolate a compound that is effective against a disease target. Using innovative thinking, state-of-the-art facilities and robust scientific methodology we collaborate to discover the next medical breakthrough.
The Cardio-metabolic Disease therapeutic area within Discovery Research is seeking to recruit a Senior Scientist that is highly motivated and with a track record of experience in identifying, validating and advancing drug targets to treat a broad array of metabolic and chronic inflammatory diseases. The location will be the preclinical research laboratories at our new state of the art facility in the South San Francisco Bay Area, where you will be able to participate in a vibrant culture connecting world leading academic and biotech research centers. Beyond local connections, you will also be able to supplement your research activities by taking advantage of the technologies and capabilities of the wider organization network of sites.
- The successful candidate will be expected to show a high degree of independence to conduct experiments in the laboratory and provide scientific and strategic input into the target portfolio, preclinical animal models and novel in vitro techniques supporting the programs.
- The individual will be expected to champion and launch new initiatives and drive innovation.
- The individual may also lead Discovery programs up to entry into preclinical development and participate on early and late development teams, informing on preclinical studies to support product development.
- The individual should be highly self-motivated, possess strong experimental and technical research skills, have strong written and oral communication skills, and be able to work productively in a collaborative and cross functional team environment within and outside of our Research and Development Division.
- Relevant areas of training may include one or more of the following: signaling transduction, cell biology, pharmacology, metabolism and immunology.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- PhD degree in biomedical research or related discipline (biochemistry, molecular biology, pathology, etc.).
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in one or more of the following disease areas; metabolic disease (e.g. diabetic complications), fibrosis and / or chronic inflammatory disease.
- Demonstrate aptitude for independent research and innovative thinking.
- Ability to present clear and compelling scientific case.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience of cutting edge technologies for investigating human and non-human biology, e.g. single cell sequencing and organoid culture.
- Strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
- 2+ years of post doc experience is preferred.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Yes; Biological reagent
Number of Openings: