Requisition ID: BIO005360
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Protein Sciences of Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) in Boston is seeking a Senior Scientist-level associate to help drive the development, automation and execution of high-throughput molecular biology and cell culture methods to support a largely robotic antibody and protein production platform.
You will build and apply an industrialized approach towards generating clone content and establishing cell culture/expression conditions for exploring antibody and protein diversity. You will also be responsible for executing a centralized workflow that includes high-throughput cloning and mammalian cell culture along with the associated data management. Your efforts will be a complement and central resource to existing capabilities and will serve as a means to expand the ability to interrogate antibody/protein diversity in order to identify optimal leads.
You will have the opportunity to apply enthusiasm and technical skills as a member of Protein Sciences to support and help drive multidisciplinary biotherapeutic discovery programs.
In this exciting role, you will:
- Develop high-throughput molecular biology and cell culture/transfection workflows to support automated protein production efforts
- Troubleshoot these workflows to continuously improve performance (reliability, cloning/transfection efficiency, protein yield, etc.)
- Assure efficient, accurate data exchange between cell culture/transfection efforts and IT/database systems
- Design solutions to ensure quality and stability of the transfection process across diverse vector/expression systems
- Maintain molecular biology and cell culture workflow Standard Operating Procedures and device life-cycle documentation
Required experience and skills:
- A minimum of a Bachelor's with 8 years relevant experience OR a Master's with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience OR a PhD with a minimum of 2 years in relevant field (e.g. molecular biology, chemical or bioengineering, biochemistry or similar)
- Experience with programming TECAN, Hamilton or similar liquid handling workstations
- Experience working with mammalian cell culture/transfection/expression systems (HEK/CHO)
- Experience with high-throughput protein/antibody production workflows and their inherent data management requirements
- A diverse molecular biology skill set (execution, innovation and troubleshooting)
- Ability to improve existing technologies and synergize new solutions from literature, peers and personal creativity and experience
- Excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills
Preferred experience and skills:
- Experience working inside high-throughput protein production environments
- Knowledge of VBA or similar programing language
- Experience working with lentivirus expression systems
- Experience with LIMS data entry, analysis and/or mining
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: Bacterial and mammalian cell culture, standard laboratory chemicals and reagents
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Boston