Requisition ID: CHE006255
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We are seeking a motivated scientist to join our Discovery-focused Protein Engineering group at our research site based in Rahway, NJ. You will join a group of innovative scientists that are implementing technologies to optimize peptides/proteins to enable discovery chemistry, biologics, and vaccine programs.
You will be involved in specific projects and partner cross-functional collaborations across diverse therapeutic areas that target proteins and pathways in oncology, immunology, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, infectious diseases, and neuroscience. This role will require critical thinking, flexibility, multitasking, and the ability to bring in new technologies to enable rapid design, generation, and testing of engineered proteins.
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of a Master's with 4 years experience or Ph.D. with 1 year experience in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics or related field
- Experience using both computational and experimental approaches to optimize properties of peptides/proteins
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Proficient in current molecular biology techniques and experience with DNA sequencing (Sanger & NGS)
- Experience with multiple recombinant protein production systems including cell-free, bacteria and yeast
- Experience with incorporating unnatural amino acids into proteins
- Experience in developing high-throughput workflows with automated liquid handling
- Experience characterizing the biophysical properties of proteins (ID, Aggregation, Tm, etc.)
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to generate novel ideas and concepts
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to multi-task
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: None
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark