Requisition ID: PHA001478
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Senior Scientist (Safety & Exploratory Pharmacology Department, SEP) is a skilled and highly motivated scientist with subject matter expertise in integrative neuroscience (more particularly: EEG with emphasis on seizure/convulsion), and/or cardiovascular preclinical in vivo physiology/pharmacology. The successful candidate must also possess proven, strong experimental, functional laboratory, and collaborative leadership characteristics with knowledge and experience in the conduct, analysis, development, and interpretation of a broad range of in-vivo endpoints and chronic instrumentation approaches relevant to non-GLP investigative safety pharmacology.
Under the direction and supervision of senior SEP department management, his/her primary responsibilities include: collaboration within a team for the development and conduct of complex preclinical in-vivo assays used for investigative risk assessment and routine lead optimization of new drug candidates in discovery and preclinical development. He/she will contribute to the design and conduct of well-defined non-GLP studies in different preclinical test systems. He/she will also conduct assigned complex laboratory tasks that include the development of new models, physiologic data recording, data handling/analysis, timely summarization and interpretation of data, and writing reports.
- The successful candidate will report to the Director of In Vivo Investigative Safety Pharmacology. This scientist will demonstrate critical problem-solving skills, ability to analyze complex data sets and when required to propose new model development and/or new endpoints/analyses methods for NBEs or NCEs.
- Primary objectives include: i) direct laboratory contribution to the conduct of investigative preclinical, in-vivo, non-GLP risk assessment studies designed to provide critical information on major vital organ systems with an initial focus on nervous system endpoints: ii) model development, including refinement of existing approaches and/or implementation of new methods and physiologic endpoints iii) ability to integrate preclinical in vivo functional assessments into a broader interpretation of systemic risk; iv) provide a mechanistic understanding of the observed profile.
- The successful candidate is expected to work independently and collaborate as part of a cross functional team. Successful interaction with co-workers within the SEP department and other groups within Merck & Co. as well as contribution to the functional and strategic effort of specific programs is required.
- In this role, an extensive understanding of in-vivo study execution of complex invasive and non-invasive preclinical methodologies in central &/or peripheral nervous system (CNS & PNS) is required and cardiovascular experience is strongly preferred. In addition it is preferred that the successful candidate be functionally adept in analysis tools including familiarity with programming /building tools in MatLab, Excel VBA, R, IronPython, or other.
- Possibility to participate in national and/or international professional societies/technical associations/working groups with presentation of original work at internal or external scientific meetings/conferences. Also, direct contribution and authorship/co-authorship of scientific publication(s) in peer-reviewed journals is strongly desired.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology or related discipline with at least 7 years of experience.
- Master's Degree in Biology or related discipline with at least 4 years of experience.
- Ph.D in Biology or related discipline.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in the development, execution and interpretation of in-vivo studies with a focus on the CNS/PNS or cardiovascular system.
- Proven ability to develop and conduct complex, integrated in vivo studies in conscious rodents and non-rodent laboratory species targeting endpoints in the CNS/PNS with additional experience in cardiovascular a plus.
- Significant data acquisition, analysis, and signal processing skills, including previous experience in using multiple analysis/reporting tools.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- 1-3 yrs postdoctoral experience in the development, execution and interpretation of in-vivo studies preferred .
- Previous experience in the use of radiotelemetric approaches of continuous measurement and recording of CNS &/or PNS endpoints in conscious, freely moving animals. Additional in-vivo experience in cardiovascular and/or at least one other vital organ system preferred.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Pharmacology - DPS
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: Laboratory use of chemicals require to prepare dosing formulations for in-vivo experiments and it will require to use of hazardous chemicals on a small (mg or ml) scale.
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia