Requisition ID: BIO005404
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world's premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we're doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow and will take Merck's leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The successful candidate will be a member of the West Point Pharmacology Department, a department that provides in vitro and in vivo pharmacology solutions to support a wide variety of neuroscience, infectious disease, and cardio-metabolic programs.
The successful candidate will have had experience in the design, development, implementation, and analysis of neural electrical signal acquisition, behavioral and/or neuroimaging paradigms. The candidate must also have a desire to apply those skills to studying the pharmacology of novel compounds designed to address unmet medical needs across a range of neuroscience indications including neurodegeneration, psychiatry, and pain.
The candidate will have experience in collecting and analyzing EEG and/or other complex signals from animal models in vivo and a track record of applying innovative computational and analytical skills to extract relevant conclusions from those complex signals. A typical candidate will have had meaningful experience with R and MATLAB, as well as knowledge of Python and SQL, all in the Windows environment.
They will also have a track record of good experimental design and working in a collaborative environment as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate complex data with clarity to different audiences.
• Performing all aspects of running and analyzing data from in vivo models supporting neuroscience indications to drive forward the goals of the Pharmacology and Neuroscience departments.
• Providing analytical and computational subject matter expertise and support to the rest of the in vivo pharmacology team
• Liaising with other areas within Merck that support and provide data analytics and computational expertise
• Establishing and managing external research collaborations.
Education Minimum Requirement:
Ph.D. in Neuroscience or related field or engineering or computer science (with neuroscience background), OR a Masters in a related field with 6 years of strong, relevant experience.
Required Experience and Skills**:
• A minimum of 3 years of experience post PhD or equivalent relevant experience working in pharma or Biotech with a track record of impactful publication, OR a minimum of 6 years' experience with their Masters with a track record of impactful publication.
• Hands on experience with conducting In vivo physiological and/or electrophysiological and/or imaging experiments in rodents and/or primates.
• Demonstrated ability to conceive, design, execute, and communicate complex physiology experiments as evidenced by publications
• Strong working knowledge of MATLAB and R to analyze complex datasets
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Expertise in EEG, cognition, and/or pain models
• Knowledge and experience in the application of machine learning algorithms and neural signal processing to solve problems
• Knowledge and experience in programming environments besides MATLAB and R (e.g. Python)
• Knowledge of SQL and Oracle databases
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: Potent Neurotoxins
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia