Senior Specialist, Lab Operations
Senior Specialist, Lab Operations
The job details are as follows:
What We Do
We build on the strength of our research and development expertise and a distinctive, entrepreneurial culture that encourages diversity, innovation, creativity, sustainability, and, simply, fun. Since inception, our mission has been to find a cure for pulmonary arterial hypertension and other life-threatening diseases. Toward this goal we have successfully gained FDA approval for five medicines, we are always conducting new clinical trials, and we are working to create an unlimited supply of manufactured organs for transplantation.
We are the first publicly-traded biotech or pharmaceutical company to take the form of a public benefit corporation (PBC). Our public benefit purpose is to provide a brighter future for patients through (a) the development of novel pharmaceutical therapies; and (b) technologies that expand the availability of transplantable organs. At the same time, we seek to provide our shareholders with superior financial performance and our communities with earth-sensitive energy utilization.
We currently have five approved products on the market and a long-term mission of providing an unlimited supply of transplantable organs for those who need them..
Our company was founded by an entrepreneur whose daughter was diagnosed with a life-threatening condition. She sought to find treatment options and a cure for her daughter and patients like her. We are founder-led, and relentless in our pursuit of “medicines for life”. We continue to research and develop treatments for cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases, and other orphan diseases.
How you’ll contribute
Manage and coordinate workflow for laboratory operations in support of research efforts to develop 3D printed transplantable lungs for the treatment of pulmonary hypertension and other lung diseases. This role is responsible for procurement efforts, facilities and equipment management, and office/IT management.
- Develop and/or implement systems, processes, protocol to ensure fluid laboratory operations
- Responsible for procurement efforts of laboratory consumables, equipment, and other supplies as needed (up to 70%):
- Perform the reconciliation, budgeting, and forecasting of expenditures to track spending and monitor open purchase order balances, etc. in SAS program
- Review and approve invoices
- Maintain updated and accurate records of all laboratory orders
- Upload Safety Data Sheets (SDS) to SDS system when purchasing chemicals
- Notify staff of order status and receipt of goods - follow-up on backordered items and find alternate item replacements/vendors based on price and availability
- Request new purchase orders, purchase order revisions, and set-up of new vendors
- Set-up standing purchase orders with vendors as needed and maintain delivery schedules
- As required, monitor the cost, schedule and scope of requested outsourced services to ensure quality and timely completion
- Facilities maintenance and calibration of lab equipment (up to 30%):
- Schedule maintenance and calibrations of facilities and equipment with vendors
- Coordinate with team members and vendors regarding building operations and equipment maintenance
- Monitor equipment-monitoring systems and respond to alerts through vendor coordination efforts
- Office and IT management (up to 20%):
- Act as liaison with IT for office related IT issues, troubleshooting as needed
- Manage office and IT inventory and stock
- Escort vendors to the area of lab that needs service
- Set up and support employee workstations as needed
- Assist in maintaining document control system
- Coordinate with team members and vendors to address and close non-conformance reports
- Assist in day-to-day of laboratory operations and perform all other duties as required
For this role you will need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Arts/Sciences (BA/BS) in business administration or scientific discipline
- 5+ years of related operations experience
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and related standard software
- Ability to work well with others
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Able to initiate and manage day-to-day duties effectively with limited supervision
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to independently follow standard protocols
- Highly self-motivated
- Able to read, write, and communicate in English
- Experience with inventory systems and/or ERP systems
- Experience in life science, pharmaceutical or biomedical industry
- Technical proficiency with basic computer troubleshooting
At United Therapeutics, you’ll realize quickly that it is not an ordinary place to work! When you join our company, you will learn, grow, contribute, have fun, and be challenged... all while making a difference in the lives of our patients.
While United Therapeutics does not require vaccination for Covid-19 at this time, we strongly encourage all employees and visitors to remain up to date on vaccinations and boosters to protect one another from illness. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere and comply with customers’ credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination against Covid -19, the influenza virus, and other illnesses that could be harmful to healthcare staff and patients.
United Therapeutics Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities