Requisition ID: QUA009107
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck's Human Health (HH) Division abides by a "patient first, profits later" ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
The position of Senior Specialist - Promotion Optimization functions as a project leader. This position is responsible for all phases of planning and executing data science related analytical projects and communicating the analytical outcomes and budget allocation strategies to internal Sales and Marketing teams. It requires the development of data-driven, profit-maximizing recommendations concerning the allocation and targeting of promotional resources through the application of quantitative methods to secondary data sources. Areas of focus include Primary Care, Specialty, Vaccines and Oncology markets.
Primary activities and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for autonomously developing all phases of project planning and execution of those projects.
- Communicate effectively with cross-functional teams and internal clients such as marketing brand leaders, center of excellence teams, senior management etc., to stay abreast of business trends, understand the business issues and develop relevant business intelligence and analytical solutions.
- Analyze various patient claims and EMR data sources to understand abandonment and adherence rates and help design patient support programs such as coupons and vouchers.
- Build and analyze behavioral segments, Promotional Response models, Return on Investments, impact assessment for physician- and patient-directed promotional programs and Marketing Mix models, Optimal promotional sequences to determine business impacts of various Health Care Provider (HCP) and Health Care Consumer (HCC) promotions.
- Analyze competitive market strategies through evaluation of relevant pharmaceutical markets, products and market shares.
- Collect, synthesize and analyze various pharmaceutical and business intelligence data sources and recommend analytically driven optimal HCP and HCC channel budgets.
- Generate standard or custom reports and presentations summarizing business and financial data for review by executives, managers, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Design and build software tools to streamline statistical and operations research based advanced analytical methods.
- Analyze industry and technology trends to identify target markets for launch products or to improve sales of existing products. Research and apply emerging analytical methods and tools such as Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Advanced Statistical methods, Cloud Computing in Amazon Web Server (AWS), Python, R etc., to measure promotional impacts and optimal budget allocations.
The Primary Activities include:
- Directly influence decisions concerning the amount, allocation and targeting of promotional resources
- Projects are product-specific, including new and in-line products, and/or focused on issues spanning multiple products
- Challenged to synthesize information about therapeutic markets and their products, current marketing and sales practices, best practice marketing concepts, and pertinent market data to develop actionable promotion resource allocation recommendations.
This position resides within the Promotion Optimization team within the Marketing Analytics & Investment Optimization organization of US Market Operations.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Master of Science (MS) in Management Science, Business Analytics, Statistics or closely related field with Three years of experience. OR
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Management Science, Business Analytics, Statistics or closely related field with FIVE years of experience.
Required Experience and Skills:
- The candidate must have a minimum of MS with three years OR BS with five years of experience in developing and applying analytics solutions along with managing the projects and client communications to solve business challenges related to health cate industry
- Working knowledge of SAS, R and Excel are required.
- Understanding of the Health Care or Pharmaceutical industry and experience in using various 3rd party data sources, such as IMS Exponent and/or Longitudinal Patient Level Data are necessary.
- The candidate must also have demonstrated strong client and project management experience, having to manage multiple analytical projects simultaneously and foster collaboration with colleagues.
- The candidate must have experience managing cross-functional teams and/or outside service providers to successfully deliver on analyses with multiple contributors and stakeholders.
- Superior communication and leadership skills are critical in order to develop, propose and convey technical concepts to business customers and USHH executives. Candidate must have demonstrated skills in developing concise and decision driven presentations that will inform decisions made by Senior Leaders.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Five years of relevant work experience in commercial analytics within pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience with Python, SQL and various analytical and data mining tools
- Experience in applying linear and non-linear optimization techniques to address business questions.
- Experience in developing and applying metrics related to health care consumer's medication affordability, adherence and abandonment using longitudinal patient level data.
- Experience with one or more of the following advanced techniques are also desirable: Bayesian data analysis, longitudinal analysis of time series cross sectional data, repeated measures modeling, Hierarchical Linear Modeling, data mining techniques, Classification and Regression Trees (CART)/ Chi-squared Automatic Interaction Detector (CHAID), and/or Discrete Choice Models
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Quantitative Sciences Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: no
Company Trade Name: Merck