Requisition ID: LEG000400
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare .
Senior System Analyst/e-billing Administrator
We are seeking an experienced Legal e-billing Administrator to join the Merck Office of General Counsel. This individual will be responsible for the legal e-billing platform; legal spend reporting and analysis; financial reporting and forecasting; and implementation of technology necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
The successful candidate must have: previous experience working with large-scale legal organizations, law firms and Finance departments; possess in-depth knowledge of legal e-billing tools and processes; and excellent budgeting and forecasting experience for legal matters. This role requires someone who thrives in a fast paced, dynamic culture with many challenges and opportunities and is execution-focused, detail-oriented and exceptional at working cross-functionally, particularly with professionals in Legal, Finance and IT. The ideal candidate will be comfortable interacting with senior decision-makers and working independently across the organization at multiple levels. This person will be encouraged to innovate and build upon current processes.
Primary Job Responsibilities will include:
- Day-to-day management of Office of General Counsel's e-billing system, including serving as internal owner of the system; addressing system issues and upgrades coordinating with vendor and IT as necessary; proving training on the e-billing system and processes; communicating system changes to internal stakeholders.
- Monitor and reconcile invoices between e-billing and AP systems; analyze rejections and/or deductions, resolve issues, coordinate and process revisions or adjustments.
- Serve as primary point of contact for law firms with billing inquiries; interact independently with attorneys, administrative assistants, outside counsel and vendors to answer questions concerning invoicing/status, retention guidelines and to resolve any invoice issues; setting up new matters and vendors; maintain custom fields; oversee timekeeper management, including new timekeeper requests and approvals.
- Assist with rate/spend trends and analytics to assist with law firm negotiations.
- Assist with the implementation of alternative fee arrangements within e-billing tool for tracking/auditability.
- Lead the evaluation and implementation of a new e-billing/matter management solution and other related tools as necessary.
- Drive collection of accrual data (both from internal legal team as well as law firms/vendors) in support of monthly close exercise with Finance as well as year-end accrual and adjustment responsibilities.
- Assist in managing the worldwide Legal Department budget, coordinating meetings with budget owners, and revising budgets/forecast based on data trends as needed.
- Ensure compliance with financial controls including, SOX and internal audits; compile, maintain and provide supporting documentation as requested.
- Provide information for financial reporting and invoice reconciliation data to various departments.
- Manage world-wide law firm list and preferred supplier list and drive consolidation.
Reporting and Analytics:
- Responsible for interpreting data, analyzing results and providing ongoing reports and metrics to execute our primary goal to reduce legal spend, while improving quality, value, and forecasting.
- Lead regularly scheduled monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting requirements; develop custom reports and provide routine and ad hoc data analysis.
- Analyze key billing and matter data sets to perform comparative analytics and trends across functional activities and recommend process improvements to ensure efficiencies.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BS/BA degree.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience working in-house in a legal department managing an e-billing tool, liaising with Finance departments or working in a law firm managing e-billing tool and/or working in the Finance department.
- Experience with Tymetrix 360 (or other mainstream matter management/e-billing platform); experience in implementing legal-related technology systems or tools is highly desirable.
- Technology-savvy; highly proficient in MS Office tools (especially Excel, PowerPoint and SharePoint) and prior experience with reporting tools (e.g. Business Objects, Cognos, QlikView).
- Familiarity with billing/accounting processes and financial tools such as SAP.
- Understanding of common alternative fee arrangements (e.g. fixed fees, fee caps, volume discounts).
- Excellent analytical skills and comfort with multiple data sets, with the ability to draw conclusions and make informed recommendations with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to present complex information in an accurate and persuasive manner to all levels of management.
- Must have strong client service orientation and demonstrated high level of customer focus, independence and initiative.
- Proactive approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues, and implement and enhance processes.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and project management in cross-functional projects with great attention to detail.
- Highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Legal Support Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark