Requisition ID: RES002254
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that's committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The Specialist, Bioprocess Technology Support position is available at the Merck Animal Health facility in De Soto, Kansas, located near Kansas City metropolitan area. The DeSoto facility is expanding operations to manufacturing vaccines and biologics for large and companion animals. Leveraging an experienced and innovative team environment, the key technologies at the site are biologics production using fermentation and cell culture platforms, filling and packaging.
Responsibilities of the Specialist, Bioprocess Technology Support i nclude:
- Lead in the development of virus, cell culture and bacterial processes that are robust, scalable and economical for bioreactor, fermentation and purification platforms in the production of veterinary vaccines and therapeutics.
- Represent Manufacturing departments on interdisciplinary teams and demonstrates working knowledge of current GMP guidelines and advanced technical knowledge.
- Design and perform simple to complex experimental studies to identify and optimize critical process parameters for the development of robust manufacturing processes for new and existing veterinary biological products.
- Develop creative approaches and solutions including but not limited to scientific and technical applications to assigned projects as well as to develop new platform technologies and improve existing processes.
- Facilitate product transfers from R&D and site to site. Participate and work with transfer team members on scale-up runs and consistency serial production.
- Order supplies, equipment parts and reagents, prepares reagents and provides support for overall laboratory and pilot operations.
- Document and prepare comprehensive, accurate and well written project protocols, summaries and reports.
- Interact routinely and effectively with Manufacturing, Quality and Research.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BS and/or MS degrees plus 5 years of experience in Animal Health or other Biological field required. Alternately PhD plus 3 years of experience in Animal Health or other Biological field required.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in Research and Development, Process Development and/or Biological manufacturing or closely related field
- Experience in bacteriology, cell culture and fermentation techniques
- Project management, analytical and writing skills
- Highly developed verbal and written communication, leadership and teamwork skills
- Excellent documentation and writing skills
- Good conceptual, analytical, problem solving,and organization skills to work independently and in a team environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a hands-on approach to solving problems inclusive of diverse perspectives (e.g. safety, compliance)
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Working knowledge of GMP requirements for manufacture and testing of biological products.
- Knowledge or experience of bioprocess scale-up, aseptic processes
- 1-3 years biological or relevant experience
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Research Support Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: Thimerosal, formalin, BEI
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Kansas City