Requisition ID: MAI000776
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that's committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
Under the supervision of a Senior Specialist or Associate Director, is responsible for providing technical manufacturing support in the field of engineering, maintenance and utilities (EMU). Provides day-to-day engineering support for assigned area which may include vaccine bulk manufacturing, filling, lyophilization, packaging, and/or mechanical support utilities including power, HVAC, steam, WFI and controlled temperature units. Assigned tasks include support and monitoring of equipment performance and maintenance, propose & develop equipment and facility improvements and troubleshoot process equipment to ensure reliable, compliant and efficient operations. Actively ensures GMP quality, safety, environmental, and operating cost goals are achieved. On occasion, may provide supervisory coverage to ensure supply of a high quality product.
Works with Operations, other EM&U engineers, Technology, Maintenance Supervisors and mechanics to maximize capacity and assure efficient, reliable equipment operation in accordance with all GMP, safety and environmental regulations.
- Champions the preventive and predictive maintenance program within your area of responsibility, reviews equipment history for reliability concerns, performs root cause analysis, and identifies reliability improvement opportunities and applications for predictive maintenance technologies to reduce maintenance costs. Develops maintenance and repair strategy for bi-annual shutdowns.
- Assists/leads Operations, maintenance supervisors, mechanics, automation engineers, process engineers and Quality representatives in troubleshooting equipment problems as well as investigating manufacturing atypical events related to system failure or malfunction.
- Serves as the project engineer and manager for small projects including scope development, design support, field execution and commissioning/qualification testing.
- Identifies spare parts and stand-by equipment needed to assure maximum capacity and reliability.
- Supports maintenance scheduling and planning processes in area of responsibility.
- Supports positive safety culture and participates in HAZOP reviews and Safety inspections. Promotes open communications, inclusion and team work.
- Authors Standard Operating Procedures or User Manuals and assists in training development for mechanics and supervisors.
- Assists in the preparation of process studies, engineering standards, equipment utilization, and profit plan.
- Explains and enforces all GMPs, safety, and environmental regulations.
- Assist in audits, regulatory inspections and training in the area of responsibility.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- B.S. Engineering, Science, 4 Year Engineering Technology Degree or equivalent industry experience.
Required Experience and Skills**:
- Minimum of two (2) years of manufacturing experience or technical support group or equivalent.
- Proficient in the following competencies: empowering leadership, flexibility, motivation, teamwork/collaboration, problem-solving, communication, and computer skills
- Knowledge in the application of engineering standards (i.e. ASME, IEEE, NFPA, CFR 1910, NIST, and/or ANSI).
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Knowledge of cGMP for pharmaceutical and/or vaccine manufacturing, Lean Six Sigma Methodology, Root Cause Analysis, Failure Mode Effects Analysis, knowledge in reliability engineering (including asset life cycle management).
- Knowledge of Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), SAP, PI, Delta V, and BAS preferred.
- CMRP certification desired.
- Knowledge of Deviation Management and/or Change Control procedures
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
NSBE, SWE, NOBCCHE, AISES, NACME, SHPE, MOJO, SACC
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 2
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: Yes, Acids, Caustics.
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia