Requisition ID: ENG004291
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that's committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
At Merck's campus in Elkton, Virginia, we are seeking candidates for a Specialist, Engineering position in our Technical Operations Team to support utilities operations. The manufacturing facility is located in the Shenandoah Valley along the Shenandoah River and the Blue Ridge Mountains a short distance from the University of Virginia and James Madison University.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to apply their enthusiasm and technical skills as a member of a multidisciplinary team supporting the operation of pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, vaccine product manufacturing facilities.
Responsibilities may include:
- Troubleshooting utility systems, including but not limited to, chillers, air handler units (AHUs), WFI loops, clean steam generators, vapor compression stills, programmable logic controllers (PLC), humidifiers/dehumidifiers, Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) controllers and monitors.
- Change control management for utility systems
- Investigation of deviations of utilities systems
- Leading and conducting technical investigations, identifying root cause, conducting investigational test protocols, implementing corrective actions, and developing investigation report.
- Identifying, implementing and managing utility improvement projects and productivity improvements
- Facility & Utility Drawing Maintenance
Supporting equipment upgrade project teams from basis of design development to project implementation, equipment installation and qualification and validation
- Data analysis and trending
- Training operations personnel
- Participation in safety reviews
- Performing shift work as needed
If you are the kind of individual who thrives on challenge and possess the technical, leadership and business, and communication skills that are of value to our business, we invite you to apply. Consistently cited as a great place to work, we discover, develop, manufacture and market a wide range of vaccines and medicines to address unmet medical needs. Each of our employees is joined by an extraordinary sense of purpose -bringing Merck's finest achievements to people around the world.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- B.S. degree in mechanical, electrical or chemical engineering, or related disciplines
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 2 years of experience with utilities equipment (HVAC, clean steam generators, WFI, potable water, chillers) and knowledge of utilities processes and systems.
- Experience with programmable logic controllers and building automation systems
- Ability to read electrical drawings, P&IDs, and understand control loops
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, team skills, personal character, and ethics
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and a hands-on approach to problem solving, with a bias towards going to see problems for oneself in the field.
- Ability to examine an issue from diverse perspectives (safety, compliance, maintenance, automation, equipment, process, and people) in order to best understand and resolve it.
- Enthusiasm, confidence, and initiative-taking ability needed for continuous learning and its applications.
- Strong desire to succeed and to help others to do the same.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- 5+ years of utilities experience
- Project management experience
- Experience working in a pharmaceutical or manufacturing environment
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Engineering Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: Harrisonburg
Nearest Secondary Market: Virginia