Working at our Diabetes Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (DAPI) manufacturing facility
Your Groundbreaking Journey
To help meet the growing demand for our treatments, Novo Nordisk expects to double production of diabetes and obesity drugs over the next decade. We are currently building a new 825,000 sq. ft diabetes Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) plant in Clayton, NC next to our existing “fill and finish” manufacturing facility. Our new $2 billion API facility is expected to be operational in 2020, with 700 full-time employees responsible for the fermentation, recovery and purification of insulin and GLP1 ingredients. This once in a life-time career opportunity is ideal for pharmaceutical manufacturing professionals who not only understand the operational complexities of manufacturing but also have the desire and drive to help us design, build and validate our processes. Here, you will work with the best manufacturing professionals in the industry, while learning and taking part in the plant design.
Support successful design & implementation of automation for process or utility systems. Provide input, review & approve design & requirement specifications. Secure proper & efficient implementation & qualification. Support production & other stakeholders. Improve reliability of the process control systems to meet current & projected customer, business & regulatory requirements through the following activities:
- People Focus
- Equipment Focus
- Standards “Gatekeeper”
- Develop & manage plans to maintain & improve process control systems.
- Support & manage implementation of systems & interfaces.
- Support & manage Corporate, Product Supply, DAPI, site, stakeholders & departmental initiatives/projects.
- Schedule & execute plans in coordination with manufacturing schedules.
- Operate as automation lead on projects that involve process control systems.
- Assist with developing & managing budgets for maintaining & improving process control systems.
- Develop & maintain automation standards, specifications & maintenance plans.
- Own self development & initiative to understand the site process control systems.
- Adhere to the automation standards & establish new automation standards when necessary.
- Lead the site in establishing automation direction & strategy (hardware & software standards).
- Lead troubleshooting for automation-related downtime.
- Function as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for assigned areas/technologies.
- Support audits & inspections as SME for process control systems.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of stakeholder management.
- Coach & train colleagues & stakeholders in relevant areas/develop training material when necessary.
- Utilize the appropriate cLEAN® tools when relevant.
- Manage assignments within compliance with a Quality Mindset that focuses on risk management & mitigation.
- Ensure the quality of systems adhere to company standards.
- Adhere to the Change Management standards.
- Govern behavior based on the Novo Nordisk Way.
- Other accountabilities as assigned.
- BA/BS in engineering/related field or equivalent combination of experience & education.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of engineering experience in process based manufacturing (API, formulation, etc.), utility, and/or packaging systems.
- Troubleshooting automation & control systems & Batch processes.
- Pharmaceutical industry experience (GMP).
- Knowledgeable in the following:
- PLC & HMI (Rockwell/AB)
- Historian/data collections
- Programming & configuration of DeltaV.
- Windows based operating systems and associated applications.
- System interfacing and integration.
- User access management.
- Proven expertise in planning/organization & project execution.
- Strong in following up on results & revising the work plan for complex problems being resolved by cross-functional teams.
- DeltaV system configuration and IT setup.
- Virtual Machines/Environments (preferably VMWare).
- Knowledgeable in the following: OSI PI Historian.
- IT competencies to an understanding level:
- Group policies/permissions
- System backup & restore
- Knowledgeable in the following:
- MES (Syncade, etc.)
- MS SQL, Databases
- Batch reporting
- Occasionally moves equipment and/or supplies weighing up to 50 pounds within the facility.
- Routinely operates & inspects manufacturing equipment using hands.
- Must be able to be on feet for up to a 12 hour shift.
- Constantly positions self to transfer materials within manufacturing environment. Frequently moves about the building to access other personnel & operational areas.
- Corrected vision to 20/30 and/or ability to pass vision screening assessment necessary to procurement motorized vehicle license.
- Occasionally ascends/descends a ladder to service equipment. Works atop elevated positions at heights.
- Occasionally required to secure a motorized vehicle license & operate a motorized vehicle.
- Occasionally works around odorous and/or hazardous materials.
- Occasionally performs critical job functions in extremely cold work environments.
- Occasionally positions self within confined spaces for inspection, repair & maintenance of equipment.
- Ability to work in loud noise environments with hearing protection.
- Able to travel domestically & internationally.
- Able to work in an open office environment with the possibility of frequent distraction.
- Able to adjust schedule to work with colleagues in other international time zones.
Life-Changing Careers with Novo Nordisk
With a local presence for more than 25 years, Novo Nordisk is one of the largest employers in Johnston County, with over 1,200 highly-skilled and dedicated employees working in Clayton and a diverse, global workforce of more than 40,000.
We aspire to operate in a socially responsible way, and we are committed to offering a healthy and engaging workplace. Our Clayton manufacturing facilities have been honored as a FORTUNE 100 Best Places to Work For 10 years in a row. Other recent employer honors include the ISPE Company of the Year, the Triangle Business Journal Healthiest Employers in the Triangle and the NC Department of Labor 2 Million Hour Safety Award. Approximately 19% of our Clayton employees are veterans, and we offer year-round opportunities to give back to the community. If you’re looking for a life-changing career with real impact, join our team and help us defeat diabetes, obesity and other chronic diseases.
At this time, Novo Nordisk is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future would require sponsorship for employment visa status.
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Requisition ID: 59934BR
Job Category: Engineering