We aim to create workplace experiences that enable our people to be inspired to invent. Inside our organization, we provide workplace solutions that enable our people to do their very best work in safety. Outside our organization we ensure we protect the people around us, communities and the environment.
Be part of a transformational team bringing new biologic and vaccine medicines to the world! This role is part of the site Environment Health and Safety (EHS) team who supports the science that is creating and building original and novel pharmaceuticals to address unmet medical needs. We need proven leadership abilities and experience in biosafety execution; preferably within pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical industries, or alternatively academia. If you are a Biosafety Officer and can influence, collaborate, and communicate with all levels of organization, consider applying for our position.
- Design and implement biosafety/biorisk management programs to meet current regulatory and institutional requirements.
- Identify and manage biosecurity risks.
- Assess site biorisk program and establish a site biorisk profile to justify and acquire appropriate resources for adequate biosafety program management.
- Assess risk of occupational exposure and infection associated with handling biological agents by reviewing, amending and approving biological risk assessments.
- Assess effectiveness of existing exposure controls and advise on different control methodologies.
- Develop and deliver agent-specific training on exposure control strategies for 15+ biological agents.
- Support investigations of biohazard-related injuries and illnesses.
- Provide technical support to medical surveillance program managers.
- Provide input to biohazard emergency response plans and pandemic planning & preparedness.
- Critically analyze occupational exposure data at site and advise senior management.
- Provide advice on choice of appropriate inactivation methods for biological agents and materials.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field with molecular biology, virology and/or microbiology.
- Master's degree is preferred.
Required Experience and Skills:
- 3-5 years of experience managing a comprehensive biosafety program. This includes small and large-scale biosafety and small and large animal biosafety.
- 5-10 years of progressive EHS experience in pharmaceutical, bio-pharmaceutical, biotechnology or related industry with direct responsibility for EHS program development and management.
- Strong molecular biology background including experience with gene expression systems, construct design and gene silencing technology.
- Experience with select agent and toxins and deemed export program management.
- Detailed working knowledge of biosafety, bio-security, and containment facility/ device regulations, guidelines and consensus standards in US. Familiarity with non-US regulations.
- Experience representing EHS interests on Engineering Project Teams for biological laboratory, vivarium, pilot plant, or production area design, construction and/or refurbishment.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to effectively engage with a diverse audience from shop floor entry level staff to vice president level.
- Proven expertise in technical biorisk assessments.
- Strong self-motivation; proactive, high-energy, "can do" work ethic; ability to handle potentially stressful situations with a positive attitude.
- Ability to foster collaboration and consensus building among colleagues in an international workplace.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- CBSP and/or RBP biosafety credential(s)
- Working knowledge of emergency response program management as it relates to biological agent or material release. Experience working with Occupational Health to support the Medical Surveillance programs.
- Working knowledge of biosafety regulations, directives and guidelines published by international, regional and major national bodies, (e.g. WHO, OIE, Australia Group, EU and USA, IATA, UN agencies, and OECD).
- Experience with large and small scale biosafety operations.
- Experience with large and small animal biosafety.
Our Support Functions deliver services and makes recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the experience of working at our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: