We partner with the business to ensure we maintain our company's values and high ethical standards, comply with the law, protect our people and enhance our reputation. We strive to foster an environment that is inspiring, supportive and diverse.
The Senior Specialist, Process Safety will provide technical leadership and consulting to global operations with a focus on identifying process safety related hazards, compliance obligations, assessing risks, and assisting sites in implementing compliant technical solutions. Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide support to process safety and loss prevention functional improvement activities (e.g. training, tools, work processes, auditing, metrics, internal programs and standards).
- Provide process safety technical support to capital projects, existing and R&D operations, incident investigations and support related trade group or advocacy activities.
- Support due diligence assessments for environmental and loss prevention technical requirements for supply chain nodes (third-party logistics locations, warehouses, etc.)
Note: This position may require travel (domestic and international), estimated to be up to 25%.
This position is located at our Kenilworth, NJ or West Point, PA site.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- B.S. degree in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Safety/Fire Protection or a related field
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 8 years of progressive process safety experience in chemical, pharmaceutical, biochemical, petrochemical or process related industry.
- Working knowledge of chemical manufacturing, pharmaceutical/biological process operations and equipment.
- Working knowledge of process safety compliance and industrial process safety-related consensus standards (OSHA, HSE, ANSI, NFPA, FM Global, API, ASME, ATEX, SEVESO, AIChE, IChemE, etc.)
- Direct experience leading or participation in process hazard analysis, specifically HAZOP.
- Direct experience in due diligence assessments for environmental and loss prevention technical requirements for supply chain nodes (third-party logistics locations, warehouses, etc.)
- Direct experience managing or implementing elements of Process Safety programs with proficiency in development of technical requirements, communications and training programs for programs noted above and for dissemination to global organization at the senior and line management levels as well as operational level colleagues.
- Proven knowledge in development and/or management of Process Safety program elements (Process Design and Control, Process Information, PHA, Process Specific Training, Operating Procedures, Management of Change, Prestart Safety Review, Mechanical Integrity, Incident Investigation, Fire Protection/Loss Prevention and Emergency Response, etc.).
- Proficiency in the use of all Microsoft based desktop software programs.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Secondary language skills.
- Certification or registration as a Professional Engineer, Certified Safety Professional, Certified Hazards Materials Manager, or Certified Fire Protection Specialist.
Our Support Functions deliver services and makes recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the experience of working at our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as "Merck" in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as "MSD" in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world's biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: