Requisition ID: IND000220
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century . Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare .
The Senior Specialist, Process Safety will provide technical leadership and consulting to global operations with a focus on identifying process safety related hazards, compliance obligations, assessing risks, and assisting sites in implementing compliant technical solutions. Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide support to process safety and loss prevention functional improvement activities (e.g. training, tools, work processes, auditing, metrics, internal programs and standards).
- Provide process safety technical support to capital projects, existing and R&D operations, incident investigations and support related trade group or advocacy activities.
- Support due diligence assessments for environmental and loss prevention technical requirements for supply chain nodes (third-party logistics locations, warehouses, etc.)
Note: This position may require travel (domestic and international), estimated to be up to 25%.
This position is located at our Kenilworth, NJ or West Point, PA site.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- B.S. degree in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Safety/Fire Protection or a related field
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 8 years of progressive process safety experience in chemical, pharmaceutical, biochemical, petrochemical or process related industry.
- Working knowledge of chemical manufacturing, pharmaceutical/biological process operations and equipment.
- Working knowledge of process safety compliance and industrial process safety-related consensus standards (OSHA, HSE, ANSI, NFPA, FM Global, API, ASME, ATEX, SEVESO, AIChE, IChemE, etc.)
- Direct experience leading or participation in process hazard analysis, specifically HAZOP.
- Direct experience in due diligence assessments for environmental and loss prevention technical requirements for supply chain nodes (third-party logistics locations, warehouses, etc.)
- Direct experience managing or implementing elements of Process Safety programs with proficiency in development of technical requirements, communications and training programs for programs noted above and for dissemination to global organization at the senior and line management levels as well as operational level colleagues.
- Proven knowledge in development and/or management of Process Safety program elements (Process Design and Control, Process Information, PHA, Process Specific Training, Operating Procedures, Management of Change, Prestart Safety Review, Mechanical Integrity, Incident Investigation, Fire Protection/Loss Prevention and Emergency Response, etc.).
- Proficiency in the use of all Microsoft based desktop software programs.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Secondary language skills.
- Certification or registration as a Professional Engineer, Certified Safety Professional, Certified Hazards Materials Manager, or Certified Fire Protection Specialist.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Job: Industrial Hygiene & Safety
Other Locations: West Point, PA, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark