Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology, Inc. is seeking an experienced Transactional Attorney to join our growing legal department. This position will report to the Senior Director of Transactions. The successful candidate will be an attorney with strong in-house counsel experience, specifically in negotiating high-value agreements for a legal department in the biotech research, development, and commercialization fields.
This attorney will be asked to provide advice and counsel for senior business leadership on complex legal issues related to transactional matters, to provide subject matter expertise related to research and clinical studies, to coordinate responses to disputes, to coordinate support across all functional areas, and to develop and implement process improvements for efficient delivery of legal services.
The candidate will calmly handle and prioritize high-pressure demands. You must be diligent and proactive, show business judgment and strategic thinking, along with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a congenial, fast-paced team environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a vital member of the transactional team by drafting and negotiating a variety of contracts including CDAs, consulting agreements, master services agreements, master manufacturing services agreements clinical trial agreements, supply agreements, material transfer agreements, commercialization and development agreements, and sponsored research collaborations
- Apply legally sound and realistic advice to balance legal risk, compliance, business objectives and resources to company transactions
- Provide legal input on the terms of existing contracts, with the ability to interpret and discuss complex concepts in a pragmatic way that results in concrete business advice
- Coordinate with the Senior Director of Transactions and the General Counsel to manage legal risk and further company strategy
- Partner with business development and alliance management teams to negotiate and draft sophisticated business development agreements and academic collaborations.
- Collaborate and actively foster strong relationships with partners (such as R&D, compliance, clinical, manufacturing, finance, HR and IT)
- Provide high quality, timely and practical advice and guidance, and identify/resolve critical issues arising from all areas of the organization
- Coordinate legal matters handled by outside counsel
Qualifications and Experience
- JD degree and admitted to a US State Bar with membership in good standing
- 8 + years of transactional experience as an attorney in a pharmaceutical/biotech legal department and/or a law firm supporting pharmaceutical/biotech clients
- Understanding of transactional rules and regulations
- Ability to effectively lead outside counsel
- Excellent negotiation and persuasion skills, both in one-on-one and group settings
- Proven leadership skills including experience coordinating with cross-functional teams, as well as providing business and legal judgment, and strategic and analytical thinking
- Self-motivated, practical, and interested in working on a wide range of legal matters to lead the Company on legal implications of its business strategy
- Experience working with all levels of management and business partners with a demonstrated ability to communicate legal risks to senior management
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work with a team to meet critical deadlines; flexible and capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously
This role may be performed remotely if VIR can support remote work arrangements in the state where you currently reside. This includes most states within the US. If you move forward in the hiring process, VIR recruiters will discuss options with you
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.