Our Sales team support our customers by providing clinical information about products, educational information, clinical training programs and resources. We support healthcare providers and healthcare systems meet the goals of the patients in their communities.
The Virology Senior Customer Representative is a key member of the Customer Team and plays a critical role in supporting our Company's customer centric business model. He/she is responsible for working with the Customer Team to understand and identify customer needs, supporting pull-through activities relative to the customer strategy, keeping with our Company's values and standards as governed by our policies and ensuring that our Company is viewed as demonstrating better health outcomes to healthcare professionals and their patients.
The Virology Senior Customer Representative demonstrates professionalism and leadership by modeling the required knowledge for successful execution of all Field Sales competencies
- Communicates product information in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each individual customer; customizes discussions and client interactions based on understanding of customer's needs
- Engages in informed discussions about products with HCP customers – knowing when/how to seek and provide additional information
- Within select customer accounts, acts as primary point of contact for customer, meets with key customers/personnel to understand practice structure, business model, key influencers (IDS, ADAP, DOC, VAs, DOH)/network structure, customer needs and identifies business opportunities
- For select customer accounts/HCPs, coordinates with customer team to develop customer strategy – outlining strategy for interactions/ relationship, solutions and potential offerings for customer
- Shares learnings and best-practices from one customer to help other customers meet their needs
- Demonstrates a focus on better health outcomes (considers the HCP & patient experience)
- Provides input into resource allocation decisions across customers
- Identifies and selects programs/services available in the library of our "resources" to address customer needs
- Maintains current understanding of practice structure, business model, key influencers/ network structure and makes information available to relevant stakeholders
- Influences beyond their specific geography or product area
- Embraces and maximizes new technological capabilities and channels to engage customers
- Engages in all job responsibilities and activities with the highest standards of ethics and integrity, with particular emphasis on compliance with all relevant laws, policies and regulation
The Virology Senior Customer Representative demonstrates the ability to execute at each stage of the sales process. He/she creates a compelling and logical rationale in positioning our Company's Virology products versus the competition by focusing on appropriate patient types and use of supportive approved resources
- Demonstrates the ability to stay ahead of market trends, assesses impact of dynamics on current business state and makes proactive recommendations to meet the future needs of the business. Demonstrates innovation, resilience and is able to adapt to ambiguous/evolving business environments
- Demonstrates advanced ability to ask strategic, insightful questions to obtain information on customer healthcare needs. Uses the insights to position Virology products and collaborates with customers on focused and customized business strategy
- Demonstrates the ability to identify customer/market segments and industry conditions in local market. Special emphasis on Specialty Pharmacy to leverage business opportunities and understanding of Virology products distribution channels/challenges
- Demonstrates the ability to drive results by appropriately managing the total Virology product portfolio by prioritizing individual opportunities and plan execution through customer segmentation, targeting and business analysis
- Articulates the complexities of the HIV payer environment, recognizing the role each stakeholder plays in the ability to access the our company's Virology product portfolio
- Demonstrates the ability to apply understanding of account needs and inter-dependencies in order to develop and execute account plans. Collaborates and models teamwork with extended members of the Virology Account Team (CLs, CTLs, Managed Care, Marketing) in the development of long-term account plans and customer centric solutions to improve value for both customers and patients
- Demonstrates the ability to embrace and maximize current and future technological capabilities and multi-channel opportunities to engage customers
- Demonstrates high-level collaboration skills to optimally maximize customer interactions and territory management with cross-functional Virology and non-Virology stakeholders such as Community Liaisons, IDS executives, fellow District members etc.
- Demonstrates the ability to forge and manage business relationships with difficult to access customers in a “no sample” environment
- Demonstrates ability to function effectively and employ a “business owner mindset” during business cycles undergoing a high-degree of change, including flexing across customer segments, product portfolios, and working in flexible matrix configurations
- Demonstrates high-level compliance with all Company policies and procedures
This territory covers: Seattle East, Tacoma, Olympia, Yakima, Spokane, WA and Coeur d’Alene, ID.
The ideal location to reside is within this territory or within a reasonable commuting distance to work load center.
Travel (25%) varies based on candidate’s location within the geography.
This position reports to a Virology Customer Team Leader.
Education Minimum Requirements
- Required: BA/BS
Required Experience and Skills
- At least 2 years of experience working in one or more of the following areas: Pharmaceutical/Medical Device/Healthcare, Business to Business Sales, Consulting, Customer Service or Military.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Self- directed and organized
- Possess strong interpersonal and leadership qualities with demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining relationships in an academic or professional setting
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and good judgment
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to drive a motor vehicle.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Minimum of two (2) years working in one or more of the following areas: account management or sales experience in Infectious Disease and/or GI customers, with a preference for HIV and/or HCV product experience and/or launch experience
- Preference for specialty sales experience across multiple specialty markets with a preference for launch experience
- Experience in pharma, biotech or medical device sales
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing plans for engaging customers and meeting customer needs
- Demonstrated success in establishing, developing and maintaining relationships
- Prior experience working in a highly regulated industry or environment where compliance to laws and policies is critical
- Account experience working in complex hospital systems, teaching Institutions and community hospitals.
- Demonstrated skill set to identify account inter-dependencies and build partnerships with key stakeholders/departments
- Experience with complex payer environments, recognizing the role each stakeholder plays in the ability to access the product portfolio, especially pharmacy stakeholders
- Current disease state customers acknowledge individual as a trusted and reliable representative
- Experience interacting with scientific thought leaders and developing advocates across an adoption continuum
- Demonstrated ability to develop customer relationships in a challenging-to-access or “no sampling” environment
- High level of business acumen and account management skills
- Current relationships with key opinion leaders within designated account preferred.
- Leadership, planning and organization, self-motivation and initiative, ability to learn, understand and convey complex information.
- Understanding of the value and importance of approaching job responsibilities with ethics and integrity and working in a highly compliant environment
Our Human Health Division maintains a “patient first, profits later” ideology. The organization is comprised of sales, marketing, market access, digital analytics and commercial professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing our medicines to our customers worldwide.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: