The VP, Public Affairs, directs how we engage and educate policymakers on the significance of the disease states that our patients face and the business complexities that NNI navigates as the market evolves. This position leads a team that engages diverse stakeholders and policymakers to create an environment where innovation and chronic disease management are priorities to drive optimal health outcomes for patients. This VP role leads and provides integrated management of the following functions within NNI: Public Policy and Alliance Development, Federal and State Government Affairs, and PA Strategy.
The VP Public Affairs regularly consults with and advises senior business leaders across Novo Nordisk – locally and globally, including the President of NNI regarding public affairs matters to ensure corporate strategic alignment. This position is at the epicenter of the changing political landscape and is critical in helping identify, evaluate, and weigh-in on developments in the evolving marketplace.
The VP, Public Affairs reports to the CVP-Market Access & Public Affairs and leads a team of high-performing professionals in our Washington, DC and Plainsboro, NJ offices. Internal relationships include interactions with Market Access, Sales, Marketing, Medical, Legal, Compliance, and Human Resources. External relationships include senior executives and key stakeholders in local and state government, policy makers, regulatory organizations, and associations aligned to Novo Nordisk’s disease states.
- Leverage existing relationships and build a network at all levels of government and regulatory bodies to have a voice of influence in the external environment that helps advance the NN enterprise strategy
- Clearly and persuasively communicate complex concepts at the highest levels of government and business
- Inform NNI Executive Team and other NN business leaders of marketplace trends and potential impacts of policy proposals and changes
- Participate as an active member of the Global Public Affairs Forum to ensure alignment of US actions with global strategies and priorities, to provide US perspectives to influence global activities, and to ensure global activities address the compliance environment and local business needs of the US affiliate
- Lead with agility – managing both our proactive agenda, while being able to quickly react to new developments in the Public Affairs sector
- Drive synergies across Market Access and Public Affairs functions through State and Federal level initiatives
- Ensure strategies and stakeholder engagement plans for the Public Policy and Alliance Development team are aligned with long-term corporate goals across NN disease states, and in support of patient needs
- Lead, inspire and leverage the collective talents of a team of seasoned professionals and subject matter experts to achieve Novo Nordisk’s business and policy goals, and shape its reputation and corporate image
- Establish and continually refine measures of success for strategic initiatives
- Ensure that the company is compliant with all federal and state registration and lobbying disclosure laws associated with interactions with U.S. government officials
- Establish and oversee adherence to administrative policies and procedures
- Oversee annual budget, allocate resources to ensure attainment of profitability goals, and hold team accountable for responsible fiscal management
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree preferred
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in a senior leadership role in a company that combines Federal/State government affairs and stakeholder relations
- Proven coalition-building skills and a successful track record in accomplishing major legislative, regulatory and policy agendas of similar size and complexity
- Deep understanding of the healthcare industry, the legislative process, and the role of policy and advocacy development in support of patient needs and business goals
- A thorough understanding of Congressional and Cabinet policy-making processes, including an understanding of the roles and decision points in the Executive agencies, the White House, the US Senate and US House, as well as the role of think tanks and associations
- Demonstrated experience engaging the healthcare regulatory environment including knowledge of FDA and CMS
- Demonstrated leadership and executive presence commensurate with the ability to effectively present complex subject topics, provide input to, and influence decision making at the C-suite level.
- Experience working in a matrixed organization; ability to successfully navigate internal dynamics
- Organizational leadership and management experience; ability to motivate others to advance goals, and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects or roles in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Proven ability to manage, inspire, and grow talent; ability to continually raise performance expectations
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Requisition ID: 59713BR
State/Provinces: Washington, DC
Job Category: Market Access