Vir is a clinical-stage immunology company with a compelling mission; "A World Without Infectious Disease". We are focused on combining immunologic insights with innovative technologies. We have assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and improve the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Our current development pipeline consists of product individuals targeting hepatitis B virus, influenza A, SARS-CoV-2, human immunodeficiency virus and tuberculosis.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Bio is seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Senior Research Associate to help drive new efforts in the discovery and development of novel therapies for the treatment of infectious disease. You will work within a highly collaborative group environment with other passionate scientist. The successful candidate, under limited guidance, will participate in discovery and translational research efforts aimed at identifying and characterizing novel therapeutic targets, investigating mechanism of action of therapeutics and defining optimal drug combinations through evaluation in the appropriate in vitro models. You will work cross-functionally and be exposed to other groups within the company to advance programs from discovery into development.
POSITION SCOPE AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works under limited supervision of scientists to conduct scientific research for the development of novel virus therapies in both a BSL2 and BSL3 setting.
- Executes cutting-edge CRISPR screening experiments
- Optimize screening assays to enable high-throughput screening (HTS) to support compound selections
- Will utilize expertise in virology, molecular biology, cell biology, and more.
- Applies knowledge of scientific methods, both quantitative and/or qualitative, to interpret experimental data and determine follow-up experiments.
- Performs routine medium-throughput screening experiments as well as more complex cell and molecular experiments to investigate the mechanism of action of novel therapies.
- Creates day-to-day activities keeping accurate records of experimental details and results related to assigned projects.
- Co-authors protocols and technical reports.
- Participates in the development and conduct of laboratory meetings, updating group members on background and status of projects by giving oral updates or internal presentations.
- Maintains project timelines and actively participates in team meetings.
- Actively seeks opportunities to continuously improve.
- Other tasks as needed
- Prior experience working with traditional cell culture models and with various cell-based assays (viability/cytotoxicity, flow cytometry, immunofluorescence, apoptosis, growth assays)
- Experience with library preparation for next-generation sequencing, CRISPR screens and RNA Seq is preferred
- Experience with arrayed High Throughput Screening (HTS) and/or large pooled CRISPR screens
- A working background in infectious disease research preferred
- Hands-on experience in a wide variety of cell biology & molecular biology techniques including nucleic acid purification, qPCR, molecular cloning, Western Blot, ELISA, fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry and more.
- Ability to work in a high paced team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize work from multiple projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work on inter-disciplinary and cross-functional teams.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications is required.
- BS/MS in a Scientific Field
- At least 4 years of laboratory bench experience outside of an academic setting
- Candidate must be willing to work in a BSL-3 laboratory and existing experience is preferred
- Experience in mammalian cell culture is required
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, one Friday a month paid-time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.