The Future Talent Program features co-ops that last up to 6 months and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Research Labs can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
Our Company’s Early Discovery Neuroscience team is seeking a motivated and technically skilled student majoring in the fields of Computational Science, Statistics or Bioinformatics. Successful candidates will be able to work independently, as well as proactively collaborate within and across interdisciplinary teams. Primary responsibilities include working with research neuroscientists on (i) the development of custom-build image analysis algorithms for 3D confocal microscopic imaging of CNS neurodegeneration, (ii) contribute to statistical data analysis, and (ii) optimize interactive dashboards and graphical presentations in order to distill complex biological concepts for clear communication, conceptualization and scientific dialogues. These core objectives will lead to novel methods and insights into disease pathophysiology and further support the validation of novel targets for neurodegenerative diseases. The candidate will therefore be an active participant in the positive and critical scientific discussions that support our therapeutic mission focused on modulating disease progression for neurodegenerative disorders. The student should have strong interest in neuroscience and learning about CNS drug discovery.
The responsibilities of the Early Discovery Neuroscience team member include:
- Development, iteration and validation of custom-build image analysis tools using Fiji/ImageJ
- Support graphical design and innovative solutions for communicating complex biological concepts – merging insights from molecular and cellular mechanisms with disease pathophysiology
- Assist in developing, executing, and troubleshooting immunohistochemical protocols and imaging methods for ex vivo and in vitro studies
- Support characterization and validation of lead therapeutic agents in cell based through in vivo models
- Communication of data clearly and concisely to teams and stakeholders
- Monitor, review and critically interpret published work to guide their own research.
- Collaborate with colleagues from other functional areas and across different sites.
Required Education and Experience:
- Candidates must be actively working towards a minimum of a BS/BA degree in Computational or Biological Sciences or related disciplines such as statistics, or health related fields
- Candidates must be available to work full-time for up to (6) months
- Candidates must have some experience with basic lab procedures: pipetting, solution preparation
- Candidates must have some experience with imaging/microscopy, image processing and macro programming
- Candidates must demonstrate ability to perform accurate data analysis and handle big data sets
- Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of lab reports and presentations. Strong attention to detail
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Candidates should have Neuroscience class work
- Candidates should have experience in histology, 3D confocal microscopy and Imaging software including ImageJ
- Candidates should have experience with computer graphics and scientific illustrations
- Candidates should demonstrate a high level of interest in generating and testing analytical and graphical tools to support model characterization and target validation for early stage projects.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Intern/Co-op (Fixed Term)
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: