Imagine transforming the face of biomedical research, helping patients getting healthier with digital therapeutics, and advanced medical devices in a state-of-the-art research facility. That’s what we do at Novo Nordisk Research Center Seattle, Inc. (NNRCSI). Our scientists and engineers apply cutting-edge technologies to early R&D projects with the goal of bringing real change to People with Diabetes and Obesity. Such projects include applying data science when developing advanced medical devices and digital decision support solutions. At NNRCSI, your skills, dedication and ambition will help us change lives for the better. In exchange, we’ll offer you an opportunity to work with extraordinary talent, continuously learn and develop, and drive change to defeat diabetes and other serious chronic conditions.
The team is comprised of collaborative, diverse and passionate people who have a true sense of pride in their work and are committed to helping others grow and develop their careers. You’ll also have a platform to engage with key stakeholders on a global scale throughout the entire pipeline process. And while changing the future of diabetes and obesity treatment is no easy task, we also recognize the importance of an enjoyable workplace, which is why we’ve cultivated a culture of fun, ingenuity and innovation. And our competitive compensation package and support of a healthy work-life balance all add to a best-in-class employee experience. We are changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
The Software Engineer, Backend will contribute to realizing the US Device Research (USDR) Digital Therapeutics vision to explore and develop new Software as Medical Device (SaMD) products that hold the potential to help patients within therapeutic areas covered by the Novo Nordisk corporate strategy.
The Software Engineer reports to a member of USDR management. Internal relationships include R&D Engineers, Data Scientists, Quality Assurance (QA) engineers, and Software Engineers in USDR and Denmark. External relationships may occasionally include commercial collaboration partners, academia, and NNRCSI drug researchers.
- Plan and lead the execution of backend development for Digital Therapeutics/SaMD development projects, including:
- Build Dockerized backend cloud applications with exposed Application Program Interface (API) interfaces and deploy on Kubernetes
- Write commercial-ready, testable, reusable code
- Write and conduct unit-level and integration tests
- Troubleshoot and debug applications
- Produce necessary backend documentation to support design control
- Collaborate with frontend developers
- Define and communicate technical and design requirements
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary team of engineers, designers, developers, and system administrators
- Stay current on new backend development technologies
- Stay current on best engineering practices
- Act as a leader to other developers, designers, and engineers to build world class digital therapeutic applications that are classified by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) as Software as Medical Device (SaMD)
- Set direction on development tools and technology stack to enable scalable, reliable software development inside and outside of a design control process
- Develop in sprints as a part of an agile development team
- Participate in core project team
- Help to establish a continuous integration framework with automated build, test and release structure
- Participate in design reviews, both internally and as a reviewer of 3rd party work packages
- Work within a regulated design control environment
- Work with QA and System Engineers to ensure backend development complies to relevant standards, such as: ISO13485, 21CFR820, IEC62304, and 21CFR part 4 to ensure compliance in quality management system
- Present backend subject matter to stakeholders
- Contribute to technical collaboration
- Hand over development work to relevant stakeholders
- Comment on Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) updates
- Identify, specify, and drive activities for competency development
- Contribute to continuous improvement for development methodologist and development support tools used in USDR
- Ensure compliance with relevant Novo Nordisk policies and SOPs
Approximately 10% overnight travel.
- BS required. BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field preferred
- 7+ years of backend development experience required; advanced degree may be substituted for experience as appropriate
- Experience in one or more of the following is preferred:
- Programming languages like Python, Java, Ruby, and PHP or similar
- Deploying with Docker and Kubernetes
- Cloud environments such as AWS
- API architectures such as REST and gRPC
- Experience shipping polished production app backends
- Understanding and implementation of security and data protection
- Ability to work with other developers to ensure that systems are designed for reliability, performance and testability
- Experience in regulated medical device development or in another regulated field preferred
- Able to explain facts, practices, policies, etc. to others within or outside of the organization. Occasionally need to convince others with mutual interests to accept new concepts, practices, and approaches
- Team-oriented, possess a positive attitude, and work well with others
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Detail oriented with strong documentation skills
- Ability to influence, communicate, and collaborate across an organization
- Ability to work independently and in teams, and to collaborate with external parties
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.